Tobacco Pipes in the Military

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

Pipe collecting/smoking is one of my new hobbies since I'm basically out of space for militaria. I of course have to connect both hobbies post any images you can find of pipes being used in the military. I'll start it of with the probably most famous one.

post-104619-0-10185300-1423251353.jpegpost-104619-0-39811500-1423251429.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Maybe not what you asked for but I once posted some pictures of a real "sweet" pipe from my collection here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/135814-something-real-sweet/&do=findComment&comment=1025104

I still love this piece though I´m not a smoker.

Nice pipe it still fits with this topic fine.

Salvage Sailor

.....and for the Marines

Chesty Puller including his Korean War pipe and awards

Chesty Puller 001.JPG

Chesty Puller 002.jpg

Chesty Puller 003.jpg

I smoked a pipe in the field occasionally, still got this pipe too, actually had this pipe for awhile before, got it like in 78. Haven't in fact smoke it since, but still got it. So did any of youse guys smoke one?

my grandfather started smoking when he joined the army in 48 and didnt stop till the day he died. sure had a collection of amazing lighters he got while stationed over seas plus 4 pipes he had when overseas. when he passed away I saved the pipes, lighters, and a really old tobacco tin (with the tobacco) very cool tread wish I had a picture of him using one

I smoked a pipe in the field occasionally, still got this pipe too, actually had this pipe for awhile before, got it like in 78. Haven't in fact smoke it since, but still got it. So did any of youse guys smoke one?

My section chief smokes, and likes us to go out and shoot the bull with him when he does so. Man kills a cigarette in about 15 seconds. I got the pipe as kind of a joke for when we go out to the smoke pit, and kind of liked it, so...coupled with my addictive personality...yeah...

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any photos of Marines during WW2 and Pre WW2 with pipes?

Chesty Puller as mentioned before of course! (but the 1st is a picture from Korea :unsure:) he smoked one through ww2

post-125364-0-97719700-1431164794.jpgpost-125364-0-90496600-1431164795.jpg

pararaftanr2

The "unknown American soldier" in post #5 is actually Boyd D. "Buzz" Wagner, the first USAAF ace of WW2. He had five kills over the Philippines in December of 1941 before being evacuated to Australia in January 1942.

Regards, Paul

Flyer9314

This is a photo of my grandfather "training" in California in 1943. I have a series of photos with him and his pipe. I've thought about buying a pipe to smoke in his memory but I haven't found one that looks similar to his pipe.

post-62350-0-96572500-1431214490.jpg

uniformcollector

Not pipe related, but since it has to do with veterans and there tobacco, I figured you might find it interesting. Medal of Honor recipient Joe Foss' snuff box:

post-104949-0-55809500-1431215200.jpg