WWII 101st Vet Photo Negatives Developed

MasonK

It's interesting to see the difference between the men in the photos in their stateside training vs. how they look at the end of the war. Some of those troops look very tired by the end of it all, with a couple showing that 1,000 yard stare.

Photos #21 and #22 appear to be the Berghof, Hitler's residence above Berchtegaden.

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/berghof.htm

The windows and roof line appear to line up.

So interesting, and so fitting, to see the troops strolling around like tourists. Then again, tourists who paid very dearly for their opportunity to visit there.

Man, these are fantastic. Thank you for sharing them.

Are those combat leader loops on the shoulder of the lieutenant starting by the paintings on the first page? If so, you could post a pic in the combat leader thread for reference.

-- Jon

Thanks, all. The stateside photos all appear to have been taken around the same time. The vet who took them, Charles Wahler, was at Camp Croft with the 39th from November 1941 to February 1942. My guess is most of these photos were taken around or prior to Christmas of 1941.

Gil, you can definitely see the difference in the men before and after. Makes you wonder how many of the men in the stateside photos survived the war. I wish I had names to go with the photos.

The photos in post 21 and 22 are indeed of the Berghof. This is referenced in a newspaper articles written about the vet, where the photos also appear, as well as in letters he wrote home to his family.

Jon, I'd be happy to add the photos. Can you provide a link to the thread?

post-29885-0-25609000-1424709065.jpg

I really enjoyed seeing your photos, thanks for taking the time posting them. I work in an art museum and particularly enjoyed seeing the photos with the looted art. We had to survey our collection a number of years ago to see if we held any "looted" art (we did not).

BKW

Charlie Flick

Hi Eric:

I, too, enjoyed your pics. Thanks for the effort. The quality of the images, particularly the training images, is pretty impressive.

I liked the pics in #76 and 77 showing the guy on guard duty. In addition to his M1903 rifle he has a Model of 1909 holster for the M1917 revolver. What was amusing to me was that the holster appears to be empty and he has no ammo pouch on his pistol belt.

Great stuff!

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Charlie,

My assumption is the soldiers are showing off their newly issued gear. As previously mentioned, the photos likely date to Nov-Dec 1941. The vet who took the photos enlisted in Nov 1941.

It is interesting to see the early equipment/small arms being used. Although I wonder why the holster for the M1917 and not a M1911?