WWII 101st Vet Photo Negatives Developed

MasonK

Thanks, Dave. These are it for the 101st photos. Still have the 4th Infantry Division photos to go through (all stateside).

Having a bit of a dilemma though as they are 35mm. The rolls are so tightly wound, I'm having trouble seating them in the holder for the scanner I'm using (Epson V500 - see below). When I do get them seated, most of the time they snap back into a roll. Afraid if I keep trying I may ruin the negatives.

Option 1 is to cut the slides into small enough sections (4 or 5 photos) to fit into the holder. Option 2 is to take them somewhere to have them scanned professionally. Would personally hate to cut them up however really don't want to pay to have them scanned.

What's the opinion from everyone on Option 1?

post-29885-0-86212600-1422914350.jpg

Awesome grouping....Thank you for sharing.

Any idea about this insignia?

Thanks! Not sure about the insignia. Close-up below for anyone who may be able to ID.

post-29885-0-47256900-1422985595.jpg

Great photos of the Eagle's Nest area.

Looks like a nice British made 101st patch on the M42 jacket.

Thanks!

It indeed is Brit made.

Thanks, Dave. These are it for the 101st photos. Still have the 4th Infantry Division photos to go through (all stateside).

Having a bit of a dilemma though as they are 35mm. The rolls are so tightly wound, I'm having trouble seating them in the holder for the scanner I'm using (Epson V500 - see below). When I do get them seated, most of the time they snap back into a roll. Afraid if I keep trying I may ruin the negatives.

Option 1 is to cut the slides into small enough sections (4 or 5 photos) to fit into the holder. Option 2 is to take them somewhere to have them scanned professionally. Would personally hate to cut them up however really don't want to pay to have them scanned.

What's the opinion from everyone on Option 1?

attachicon.gifE17-V500-call01-sp.jpg

If I may be permitted to add my opinion-first of all, I'm a retired photojournalist that dealt mostly with archiving slides and negs (both B&W and color). Personally, what I'd do is to purchase some archival storage sheets that will hold the negs in strips of 5 or 6. This will allow the negs to lay flat-thus not giving you a wrestling match anytime you need to find a particular frame. This would also cut down the "scratch factor" everytime you handle the roll of negs. Cutting them into strips (again, my former professional opinion) will not have any negative (pun intended) effect on valuation of the film. Need to remember one thing is that you really need to keep any humidity etc to a bare minimum as this will create future issues. Hope this helps......

If I may be permitted to add my opinion-first of all, I'm a retired photojournalist that dealt mostly with archiving slides and negs (both B&W and color). Personally, what I'd do is to purchase some archival storage sheets that will hold the negs in strips of 5 or 6. This will allow the negs to lay flat-thus not giving you a wrestling match anytime you need to find a particular frame. This would also cut down the "scratch factor" everytime you handle the roll of negs. Cutting them into strips (again, my former professional opinion) will not have any negative (pun intended) effect on valuation of the film. Need to remember one thing is that you really need to keep any humidity etc to a bare minimum as this will create future issues. Hope this helps......

Thanks, Fstop! Definitely puts me at ease. Think I'll be picking up a box of these, let the strips flatten out a bit then begin the scanning process.

post-29885-0-47943000-1423160948.jpg

Thanks, Fstop! I'm thinking it's an old issue. He arrived overseas in June 1944 and shipped home in October 1945. Based on the date, these would have been taken on the voyage home.

i was thinking the same thing, cool to see jump coats still be worn that late.

Whats the unit of the guy standing?

It appears to be 9th AAF. The patch to the right was actually included with Wahler's group.

post-29885-0-67097200-1423260937.jpg

Thanks! Not sure about the insignia. Close-up below for anyone who may be able to ID.

attachicon.gifstar pin.jpg

For me it's not necessarily an 101st unit insignia because we can see on this picture a man of the 7th armored...

audacia cum prudentia

attachicon.gifstar pin.jpg

It looks a lot like 2nd Armored Division CCB DUI, I can't find the disc with my pictures on to compare for you sorry

Very nice! I really love these!

As a photo Collector I also Have an abundance of negatives and slides in my collection so I feel your pain on the film rolling. I used the V500 and it is a great scanner especially when it comes to negatives. I have found on rolls that have been wound for 60-70 odd years even when you cut them to strips they still are a pain. I have used two pieces of glass and sandwiched the strips and then scanned them. That works great even better than the film holders that came with the scanner.

Mike

It looks a lot like 2nd Armored Division CCB DUI, I can't find the disc with my pictures on to compare for you sorry

I have the same idea like you, but I'm not sure that this DUI was created during WWII. If someone have the information...

post-28482-0-16762700-1423388737.jpg

audacia cum prudentia

I have the same idea like you, but I'm not sure that this DUI was created during WWII. If someone have the information...

That's the boy, thanks, couldn't find it on my discs, I've seen the back and it looks wartime to me. Is it the same as the photo above ? It's the only DUI I could think of that was the same look.

He's got coveralls on, which does lend some support to the correlation with 2nd Armored HQ DUI, the O/S cap is piped, but obviously we have no idea in what other than it's a lighter piping.

Other Armored Divs had HQ Dui s such as 1st and 3rd Armored Divis

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was able to transfer the stateside negatives to digital. Wound up going to a local camera shop.

There were 133 photos in total, however for posting purposes, I scaled it down to under 50.

Some nice shots of his time in training; I'll let the photos do the talking.

post-29885-0-13258800-1424444095.jpg

post-29885-0-66105100-1424444098.jpg