strange knife

camillus

1950's Jet Pilot Knife.

You should invest in a book or two if you're going to collect knives. Cole's Book 3 would be a good place to start.

In fairness hardly a Q knife pommel, either Case or certainly not Cattaraugus. These knives at one time were assumed to be versions of the WW2 Mark1 knifes due mostly to similarity in the blades.

In Mr. Cole´s book you can find this knife as USN Mark 1. In the Best of Cole is note by Mike Silvey that this is not WWII Mark 1 but pilot´s knife from 50´s according to Frank Trzaska´s article from Knife World.

Package from the Camillus version. I believe the Imperial was the only one to use the bent guard.

post-66-0-66243900-1422574369.jpg

Gary- Imperial made the bent guard versions,(suspect a carry over from the M3), but note that the sheath for the Camillus has that cant at the throat that looks as though it was designed for the Imperial guard. Great picture! SKIP

The later sheathes by all the makers were required to have the cut so they could be interchangeable among the makers.

Thought I'd post these images I received from Tom Williams of Camillus a few years ago. Camillus, Imperial, and Schrade Walden where all contract makers of these knives.

post-17422-0-66015400-1423002507.jpgpost-17422-0-78191400-1423002517.jpgpost-17422-0-92324400-1423002535.jpg

From the above images I think my earlier question maybe answered that the relief cut in the throat of the sheath happened before the addition of the 6th rivet.

Frank Trzaska

Ha, those are pages I sent to Tom when researching the pattern. The printing on the contract bid sheet is my writing. Getting the spec sheets released from the DTIC and the bid sheet from the National Archives as well helped to piece together the puzzle back then. The hang tag from the knife in the factory collection gave us the MIL Spec number and date to look for.

As an aside Tom was a great guy, I miss him...

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Yes Frank looking back in my saved e-mails Tom did mention you as the source for that. I wish I had the chance to meet Tom face to face, as I've lost the opportunity to shake his hand.

• 4 months later...

Need to invest in some books. Every serious collector does to help them out with questions they have on a item they don't know.