My Grandfather's WWI Helmet bring back

Old Marine

This Pickelhaube was bought back from WWI by my grandfather. This helmet has been in my collection for 50 years. This helmet is probably what started my interest in collecting militaria, or "old army junk", depending on your point of view.

My grandfather died when I was very young and I know very little of him or his Army service in WWI other than he was a Medic and served in France.

As far back as I can remember this helmet was always around the house. Grand pop's helmet as we called it was worn by me and my brothers as well as the family dog. It went through countless backyard wars and Halloweens, it's not in the best of shape but given the rough treatment it suffered by us dumb kids it's kind of amazing that it looks as good as it does.

I don't know much about Imperial German stuff, but I have figured out that the front plate identifies it as a Wurtemberg helmet. Anyway, it is what it is and it's a miracle that it's still around and I like it. I am glad that USMF has added this spoils section so that I could show it.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-0-24646600-1422299990.jpg

As far back as I can remember this helmet was always around the house. Grand pop's helmet as we called it was worn by me and my brothers as well as the family dog. It went through countless backyard wars and Halloweens, it's not in the best of shape but given the rough treatment it suffered by us dumb kids it's kind of amazing that it looks as good as it does.

Dennis,

The memories of your Grandpop and of your childhood wearing this helmet are what make this helmet priceless. It is in great shape to have been worn by even your family dog! I wish you had a picture of that.

....Kat

USCapturephotos

Hi Dennis. I agree with Kat. Cool helmet but the story behind it and it's place in your family lore make it extra special. I have my great uncles fixed bail M1 helmet that I wore in the back yard playing WW2 with my friends in the 1970's and 80's and have such fond memories of that.

Thanks for sharing!

Paul

I've said it a million times, I'd absolutely love to have something from a relative's service. Great helmet and story to go with it!

That's a great helmet ... and an unusual war trophy for an American. And not an "Ersatz Pickelhaube" either. By the time the "Yanks" got to the trenches the Pickelhaube had been replaced by the M16 and M17. Some British units would give passes to soldiers who could recover a Pickelhaube for their officers late in the war.

Great helmet and story, Dennis. Looks to be in above average condition, especially considering its post-war usage! S/F.......Bob

Dennis,

A wonderful looking helmet and a great family stroy to go with it. We do not often see relics from WW1 and this helemt is in very nice condition..

Thank you for sharing your family heirlooms with us all

Leigh

Also the Wurttemburg helmet plate isnt seen often.This one has the antlers of the Stag missing and maybe a piece of the lions tail.These plates are easily damaged and a nice addition to any WW1collection.

Family pieces are the best! I can relate, as getting my grandpa's "old army junk" was what spurred me to collect militaria as well.

Nice, aren't you glad you didn't loose in the weeds somewhere when you were a kid?

Yes indeed. I look at that helmet I wonder which was more difficult surviving the war or us kids. I try not to think about the other stuff that didn't survive.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Nice looking helmet! And I agree with everyone else, it's especially nice considering what it's been thru with the kids and family dog!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, The helmet is only supposed to have one cockade on it because it is a very early model. It looks complete as is. This would be for an enlisted man due to the leather liner. The officers have a silk liner. The early ones also have a moveable vent in the back strap as yours does. Nice helmet.

• 4 months later...