Bullion bugler insignia real or fake

I don't particularly care for it as Civil War for the following reasons:

1) I am always suspicious of the black mesh backing. I can't tell much from the photo, but it looks like that used on reproduction insignia.

2) The double loop on the trumpet reminds me of the 1892 pattern trumpets. There is a brass trumpet insignia with a double loop that Campbell and O'Donnell think may be one of the few federal issue pieces out there (they call it "regulation," but I think they mean federal issue- most of these insignia were worn by militia units.) But that insignia differs from this one in having no cords at all, and loops that are pretty much the same length. More importantly, virtually all the embroidered CW or prewar insignia I can seem to find are the single looped trumpet.

3) The cord arrangement on both the metal and embroidered trumpets seems always to have the ends of the cord drape down toward the bell of the trumpet indicating it was made to be worn vertically, whether or not the wearer actually mounted it that way. I see the cord on this drapes down in a way indicating the trumpet is meant to be worn horizontally.

As a side note- the insignia was intended to be for riflemen, not musicians, though of course some militia group or even a band may have so used it.

This could very well be a foreign piece. Many countries use bullion insignia of one sort or another. This one doesn't match anything used by the U.S. Army.

This could very well be a foreign piece. Many countries use bullion insignia of one sort or another. This one doesn't match anything used by the U.S. Army. It looks like a MOUNTED RIFLEMEN insinga , but I do not beleave its real, the photos are just too small for me to say 10

kind of looks like a Mounted Riflemen insinga, but the cord is wrong so it might be French (guessing)

I bought one just like it a few years ago. I thought it was a Mounted Rifles patch. I posted it in the Patches and Badges section. It was identified as a patch used by cadets at the US Naval Academy. I looked for the post but could not find it but photographs were posted of the patch in use.

Dick