Jump Wings Clutch Back - WW2? Maker?

Hello All,

I liked the wear on these wings, and the all sterling construction. Are they WWII era? Can anyone identify the maker?

Thanks,

Eric

post-19190-0-10159500-1422226459.jpg

post-19190-0-82342700-1422226479.jpg

post-19190-0-76200500-1422226487.jpg

I would say more than likely post war because this style paratrooper wing also exists in senior and master grades. In addition your wing was modified by the owner as you can't get this kind of wear by just polishing it to death. The outer feathers were purposely removed as well as the details on the chute. This style wing also exists with a hallmark of 14-C which is one of the hallmarks used by the Crest-Craft Company.

post-1389-0-52013900-1422228768.jpg

post-1389-0-02013700-1422228785.jpg

I'm sure there are others here with more knowledge on this subject, but weren't the clutch back jump wings introduced after WW2??

And read it here or on another forum that some guys would grind off the details of their wings so they could polish them to a higher sheen.

Here are the master parachutist grade wings of this same design. Notice the canopy skirt that is rounded where the suspension lines meet it. I agree with Tonomachi that Crest Craft is most like the maker of these wings. The Crest Craft marked 14C wings are identical. I'll post the backsides in the next photo. Crest Craft was founded in 1946 after WWII, so unless I am mistaken there are no WWII vintage Crest Craft badges.

post-48217-0-19038700-1422304951.jpg

Here is the back side of the master parachutist wings above. Very similar in design and practically identical features including a slightly oversized star and wreath.

post-48217-0-10380900-1422305250.jpg

Thank you, folks.

Very odd that those outer feathers are filed in such a fashion. I will note them as Crest Crafts.

Eric

Patchcollector

Thank you, folks.

Very odd that those outer feathers are filed in such a fashion

Eric

It almost looks to me as if someone were trying to remove the outside edges of the wings but never finished the job.

Thank you, folks.

Very odd that those outer feathers are filed in such a fashion. I will note them as Crest Crafts.

Eric

Here is another modified post war paratrooper wing where only the feathering details along the outer edge have been smoothed down. My guess is that when polished to a high sheen the other edges of these wings will stand out.

post-1389-0-71171900-1422326577.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here is another modified post war paratrooper wing where only the feathering details along the outer edge have been smoothed down. My guess is that when polished to a high sheen the other edges of these wings will stand out.

This does look like a practice who's purpose seems lost to time! They are both interesting pieces...

Thanks,

Eric