Navy Watch Cap--Viet Nam Era?

hirsca

Estate sale find. There were several sets of undress blues at the house, but no labels or names. Found a pair of black dress shoes dated 1967. Is the tag in the cap typical of the VN era? Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-69874400-1422202984.jpg

post-12790-0-10777000-1422203000.jpg

Looks like a WWII era tag to me.

-Jay

Thanks Jay. I've done some research since my original post and actually found several posts here on the Forum related to USN watch caps. Based on those, I took a few more pictures showing the bottom edge, top of cap and side seam--both outside and inside. Looks to me like a WW2 vintage now. Thanks again, Al.

post-12790-0-43627100-1422206782.jpg

post-12790-0-01797900-1422206807.jpg

post-12790-0-79677300-1422206828.jpg

post-12790-0-97628200-1422206846.jpg

It's a very good find, these are pretty hot and sought after. You might be surprised what they typically sell for.

RC

It's a very good find, these are pretty hot and sought after. You might be surprised what they typically sell for.

RC

I really don't get why? Just not a lot of them?

-Brian

-Brian

I am right there with ya. I don't think they are that uncommon. I have half a dozen at least that have come in various groupings over the years and I see them for sale fairly often. Some stuff is sought after by vintage clothing folks, like deck jackets and dungarees, maybe that's driving the prices?

-Brian

They aren't easy to find, but yes, it is my understanding these have a following with the vintage clothing market. The fact is (was) that a decade ago Navy stuff was a small niche portion of the collecting market. I would hesitate to even say it was near mainstream. The only somewhat steady demand has been from those who enjoy the look of Naval clothing; not collectors. Now Navy stuff is getting more mainstream and collectors are having to bid against those who want to wear it.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that there are fewer and fewer WWII Navy veterans every day the sun dawns. It's a sad fact of life that the supply is finite, and one day in the not so distant future we will find that out. Watch caps (unlike some of the other things sailors were issued) actually were utilitarian and got worn out & used up; much like the dungarees, shoes and deck boots did after the war.

RC