9th Armored Division Grouping

ww2vault

Photo 1: What appears to be a P-51 Mustang.

Photo 2: A building complexe somewhere around Germany. Note the vehicals at the bottom of the picture, they are US trucks and jeeps.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215952062.jpg

post-1090-1215952093.jpg

Photo 1: A picture of the top of the Eiffel Tower. Got a little close didn't they? :)

Photo 2: An airfield where a P-51 Mustang is parked along with a couple US trucks.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215952342.jpg

post-1090-1215952411.jpg

Photo 1: A shot of around 40 US fighter planes, not sure what these are, they look some what like Mustangs but differ slightly.

Photo 2: Another shot of an airfield where two Mustangs are parked along with some US jeeps and refueling tankers.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215952571.jpg

post-1090-1215953200.jpg

Photo 1: A photo that has 29 RAF Spitfires.

Photo 2: A close-up on one of the Spitfires.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215953516.jpg

post-1090-1215953550.jpg

I believe one can see the shadow of the Photo-Recon plane (a Lightning P38?).

Keep 'em coming. thumbsup.gif

Erwin (still getting a kick out of this)

Photo 1: An airfield with 39 different US fighter planes parked.

Photo 2: A photo with 30 Mustangs.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215954438.jpg

post-1090-1215954568.jpg

Yes, I believe you are correct in saying that the recon plane is a P38 Lighting Erwin. :)

Photo 1: This photo is of six camo painted RAF Bristol Blenheim's. At least, I think they are Bristol Blenheim's, not quite sure about the different RAF bombers.

Photo 2: A close-up on them.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215955071.jpg

post-1090-1215955458.jpg

Photo 1: An airfield with many types of US planes. Notice the AA armament near the bottom, it appears to have been dismantled.

Photo 2: A far out shot of Paris with the Eiffel Tower in the background.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215960603.jpg

post-1090-1215960626.jpg

Any photos of MP's in the group? My uncle was in the 9th Armored as an MP and would love to maybe find a photo of him. My aunt gave away his photo album-UGH!!! By the way, the aircraft in post 29 are RAF Tempest's and post 32 they are Mosquitos. Great grouping, thanks for showing it, Mark.

Ah, thank you for clearing those two planes up TBM. I thought the one was a Mosquito, was sure though. pinch.gif Also, i'm sorry but I don't see any MP's in the photos. Good luck in your quest!

- Jeff

Salvage Sailor
Photo 1: A photo that has 29 RAF Spitfires.

Photo 2: A close-up on one of the Spitfires.

- Jeff

Lots of nice photos here Jeff, thanks for sharing them. I like the P-38 shadow of the plane taking the photographs.

and yes, those are RAF Hawker Tempest fighter bombers, Spitfires have a very distinct eliptical wing and nose.

316th FS 324th FG

I believe those are P-47s in post #28.

I would love to see a good scan of that pic to try and id which group's planes they are.

WOW :blink: , needless to say this is a GREAT grouping, thanks for sharing all the rare material and photos! I'm just amazed at the pile of docs you got. Each photo is a real treasure!! Just amazing!

Yannick

Any photos of MP's in the group? My uncle was in the 9th Armored as an MP and would love to maybe find a photo of him. My aunt gave away his photo album-UGH!!! By the way, the aircraft in post 29 are RAF Tempest's and post 32 they are Mosquitos. Great grouping, thanks for showing it, Mark.

Hi There Mark,

You are in luck. There is in fact a photo of some MP's in the grouping. :) I remembered about the photo in focus because I was watching Band of Brothers, and in episode one, there is a shot when they are all on the tarmac getting ready to leave where I saw some MP's with their MP helmets on. I then remembered about one photo I saw with some people wearing the same helmet. pinch.gif

Anyways, I posted a couple pictures of it below. There aren't many good facial shots of the guys but it's all I have in my grouping. Hope this helps some!

P.S. Whats interesting to note, is that the guy on the far right, walking away from the jeep towards the group of MP's appears to be African-American. You will have to forgive me since I know little of African-American participation during WWII, but how common was it to have black MP's overseas?

- Jeff

post-1090-1216317317.jpg

Photo 1: MP's on the right side of the group.

Photo 2: MP's on the left side of the group.

- Jeff

post-1090-1216317840.jpg

post-1090-1216317873.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
CNY Militaria

Fantastic group and photos! Some of those are just awesome! Hopefully you can ID some of those field grade officers eventually, it would be neat to know the connections he had.

Justin

Jeff, thanks for posting the photos of the MP's, don't see my uncle but it is cool to see the jeep and the guys. Mark

Hi,

I just bought this grouping from the son of the veteran today. He told me his dad us to have a ton of his military things but over the years and countless times moving from place to place, some of the stuff has become lost. It's hard to tell what else there was but according to the list of medals he was awarded, those are all missing. He even had his uniform at one point an time.

I have been in touch with the son for a couple months now and had many failed attempts at meeting and buying the items. The first time I met him though and he showed me his fathers things, he had a Nazi sword which his father brought home, but I couldn't afford to buy it along with the rest, even had a post on here explaining about that. It ended up getting sold to a collector of Eickhorn swords.

Before I bought the grouping though, he took everything down to two militaria dealers in Fayetteville to see if either one would like to buy the stuff. Well being a typical dealer, both tried to offer him chicken feed for what the stuff was worth, including the German sword. Thats when he sold it instead to a sword collector and the rest of the stuff to myself since he knew I would be more willing to keep all of his fathers items together then anybody else.

So, now that I have filled you in on the happenings, I know all the AD collectors here will enjoy this. *Cough* *Cough* Jeepers *Cough* ;)

His fathers name was Frank E. Carpenter and he was discharged from the Army in 1953 at the rank of Lt. Colonel. In one of the attached pictures below is a picture of his Separation Qualification Record which lists his ranks throughout the war.

There are over 228 photos with about 50 of them being 8x10 air recon photos. There are some really neat photos in the grouping, but the air recon photos are quite neat. I am wondering how a guy in the 9th Armored Division ran across them though?

The other photos vary greatly in content, a few depict defeated German tanks, one which I think is a Panther, some wreckage of German airplanes, and one photo that I thought was really cool is the front of the Bridge of Remagen. What makes it so neat is that I bought a poster which was printed in 1953 a while back by the U.S. Army and it is dedicated to the taking of the Remagen Bridge by the 9th AD. The view point of both the poster and photo is almost the same as well, quite neat. (The comparison photos are below.)

I am having the son write up a summary of his father life, pre-serivce, wartime, and post-service. That way I can get the whole story of his life rather then just by the stuff I have right now. Who knows, maybe some day he will run across more of his fathers stuff. :)

If there are any pictures of things below you would like for me to take a closer picture of please do not hesitate to ask, I would be more then willing to do so. thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

Corpl. Cleaver

Jeff,

Great find, do you mind if I copy some of the 9th AD photos??

One of my great-uncles was at Remagen with the 89th Mec Recon Squad.

Tyler

Jeff,

Great find, do you mind if I copy some of the 9th AD photos??

One of my great-uncles was at Remagen with the 89th Mec Recon Squad.

Tyler

Feel free to save a copy of the photos Tyler. :) Do you have any of your great-uncles items?

- Jeff

Corpl. Cleaver
Feel free to save a copy of the photos Tyler. :) Do you have any of your great-uncles items?

- Jeff

Thank you.

No I don't have any of his stuff, he died in the 1970's. But I think his son has some stuff and he has done lots of research on the unit. But he lives in Texas.

Tyler