9th Armored Division Grouping

ww2vault

Hi,

I just bought this grouping from the son of the veteran today. He told me his dad us to have a ton of his military things but over the years and countless times moving from place to place, some of the stuff has become lost. It's hard to tell what else there was but according to the list of medals he was awarded, those are all missing. He even had his uniform at one point an time.

I have been in touch with the son for a couple months now and had many failed attempts at meeting and buying the items. The first time I met him though and he showed me his fathers things, he had a Nazi sword which his father brought home, but I couldn't afford to buy it along with the rest, even had a post on here explaining about that. It ended up getting sold to a collector of Eickhorn swords.

Before I bought the grouping though, he took everything down to two militaria dealers in Fayetteville to see if either one would like to buy the stuff. Well being a typical dealer, both tried to offer him chicken feed for what the stuff was worth, including the German sword. Thats when he sold it instead to a sword collector and the rest of the stuff to myself since he knew I would be more willing to keep all of his fathers items together then anybody else.

So, now that I have filled you in on the happenings, I know all the AD collectors here will enjoy this. *Cough* *Cough* Jeepers *Cough* ;)

His fathers name was Frank E. Carpenter and he was discharged from the Army in 1953 at the rank of Lt. Colonel. In one of the attached pictures below is a picture of his Separation Qualification Record which lists his ranks throughout the war.

There are over 228 photos with about 50 of them being 8x10 air recon photos. There are some really neat photos in the grouping, but the air recon photos are quite neat. I am wondering how a guy in the 9th Armored Division ran across them though?

The other photos vary greatly in content, a few depict defeated German tanks, one which I think is a Panther, some wreckage of German airplanes, and one photo that I thought was really cool is the front of the Bridge of Remagen. What makes it so neat is that I bought a poster which was printed in 1953 a while back by the U.S. Army and it is dedicated to the taking of the Remagen Bridge by the 9th AD. The view point of both the poster and photo is almost the same as well, quite neat. (The comparison photos are below.)

I am having the son write up a summary of his father life, pre-serivce, wartime, and post-service. That way I can get the whole story of his life rather then just by the stuff I have right now. Who knows, maybe some day he will run across more of his fathers stuff. :)

If there are any pictures of things below you would like for me to take a closer picture of please do not hesitate to ask, I would be more then willing to do so. thumbsup.gif

- Jeff

post-1090-1215913630.jpg

Photo 1: Picture of his BS, Dog Tags, 102nd ID SSI, Discharge Paper, large photos.

Photo 2: Close-up of his personnel file and photo of Mr. Carpenter.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215913850.jpg

post-1090-1215913959.jpg

Photo 1: Picture of medium sized photos and the lot of small photos.

Photo 2: Picture of the small photos and the 50 aeriel recon photos.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215914186.jpg

post-1090-1215914234.jpg

Photo 1: A photo of Mr. Carpenter, he was a Captain during most of his service in WWII. By the end of the war he was promoted to Major and then in 1946 he was promoted to the rank of Lt. Colonel.

Photo 2: A photo of his Separation Qualification Record. Quite nice at detailing his service career.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215914552.jpg

post-1090-1215914690.jpg

Photo 1: His BS with case and lapel pin.

Photo 2: A shot of his military id card, 102 ID SSI, and dog tags. (If anyone has a vintage WWII dog tag chain just laying around I am in need of one. :) )

- Jeff

post-1090-1215914977.jpg

post-1090-1215915105.jpg

Photo 1: A photo of a 9th AD recon guy looking over aerial photos of probable targets.

Photo 2: I think a Major or Lt. Colonel in the 9th AD awarding a soldier.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215915439.jpg

post-1090-1215915454.jpg

Photo 1: A couple 9th AD guys going over aerial photos. (This might be how the 50 aerial photos I have tie into the collection.)

Photo 2: This photo is captioned on the back: "Sgt. Albert Lubinski, Malden Mass.; PFC Charles Freiser, Bronx N.Y. (Rear); PFC Sid Smith, Phila PA. Clean their weapons during rest period from front line fighting in Luebsbore, Germany. All are members of the 9th Armored Division, 1st U.S. Army."

- Jeff

post-1090-1215915592.jpg

post-1090-1215915677.jpg

Photo 1: An interesting photo of a two star general and a colonel awarding a guy some colonel pins I think.

Photo 2: A photo of either a Major or Lt. Colonel, (Might be the same from the picture a couple back.) standing next to a 9th AD sign.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215916388.jpg

post-1090-1215916410.jpg

Photo 1: First group of small photos, pictures vary from knocked out German tanks to a ruined city and dead soldiers.

Photo 2: A close-up on the couple German tank photos.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215916608.jpg

post-1090-1215916655.jpg

Photo 1: Second group of small photos that vary from more German tanks, German planes, and engineer bridges.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215917032.jpg

Photo 1: A close-up on a US jeep which is interesting to note the steel beam going straight up in the front. They were put onto jeeps for the fact that Germans were known to string piano wire across the roads to behead the occupants driving along. :unsure:

Photo 2: A photo of what appears to be a German Panther tank.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215917224.jpg

post-1090-1215917364.jpg

Photo 1: The third group of small photos which varies from blown up bridges, German POW's, and more German vehicles.

Photo 2: A shot of what I think is the bridge at Remagen. Sadly 1/4 of the photos in this group has some damage to them from what appears to have been water. My guess is that they use to be in an album but it got wet and they took all the photos out of it.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215917658.jpg

post-1090-1215917887.jpg

Photo 1: The forth and final set of small photos. These vary from some more tanks, what I think are V-2 rocket parts, and bridges.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215918366.jpg

Photo 1: This came out a little more fuzzy then I thought but it is a photo of two 9th AD guys standing on a German flak tank with a pillar with a German eagle and Swastika on top of it.

Photo 2: The entrance to the famous bridge of Remagen that the 9th AD captured. (Comparison of this photo and poster is further down.)

- Jeff

post-1090-1215918506.jpg

post-1090-1215918648.jpg

Photo 1: A side view of the Remagen bridge.

Photo 2: A photo that depicts a field with many German graves.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215918828.jpg

post-1090-1215918876.jpg

Photo 1: It appears to be some kind of ceremony the 9th AD is having.

Photo 2: Some medics from the 9th AD treating surrendering Germans.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215919185.jpg

post-1090-1215919303.jpg

Photo 1: A photo of a 9th AD tank rolling down the road. The sign off to the right reads: "Aschersleben 74Km; Sachsenburg 6Km"

Photo 2: Two 9th AD guys processing ready to cook chickens.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215919888.jpg

post-1090-1215919942.jpg

Photo 1: In another photo he has a desk sign that reads: Maj. Gen. J. W....... Not sure that the rest is. He is the head of the 9th AD though.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215920166.jpg

Photo 1: The comparison between the front photo of the bridge at Remagen that Mr. Carpenter took and the 1953 poster of the bridge, almost the same exact spot for both. I thought it was pretty neat.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215920846.jpg

That's sure an amazing grouping! WOW! :love:drool2.gif

I can't stop looking over it.

Great find! twothumbup.gif

I wish I was that lucky.

Thanks for posting this one.

Correct, the tank is a German Panther or Panzerkampfwagen V.

Erwin

...a desk sign that reads: Maj. Gen. J. W....... Not sure that the rest is....

Major General John W. Leonard was commanding general of 9th AD. Nice collection.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! :) I knew you would get a kick out of the grouping Jeeper704. thumbsup.gif

I totally forgot about posting a few pictures of the aerial photos, some are really quite neat. They all pretty much date from June 1945 except for a few which are of Paris in September of 1944.

The ones from 1945 I am guessing are of some places in Germany maybe, seeing as how the Germans surrendered on May 8th and these being taken a month later in June.

Photo 1: A view of the Eiffel Tower.

Photo 2: A picture of a group of US bombers.

- Jeff

post-1090-1215951668.jpg

post-1090-1215951744.jpg