• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 michaelfrank

michaelfrank
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 157,034
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

A few years back I did some research but couldn't come up with what these are.

They were in a box my Dad had, with some of my grandfathers military pieces. My grandfather was WW2 Army Airborne and my Dad was in the Illinois National Guard in the late 60s/early 70s. Started looking from there, but never found where these might be from... ribbon bar for scale:

chevrons2.jpg

Attached Images

• chevrons.jpg

Edited by michaelfrank, 20 January 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#2 WW2JAKE

WW2JAKE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 125,364
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:23 AM

jrotc cadet staff sergeant? thats what my first thought was

#3 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:54 AM

I think Jake is right. These appear to have been trimmed from an ROTC shoulder slip-on. Why anyone would do this is a mystery.

#4 Dakota

Dakota
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,988
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

JROTC uses White on Black Epualettes. More than likely ROTC.

#5 michaelfrank

michaelfrank
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 157,034
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

thanks gents. after doing a search, I came across these on ebay at the moment:epaulets.JPG

I think it's got to be the case that these were cut away. No one in my family was in jrotc/rotc that I know of, though my grandfather was a collector of just about anything he found that he thought was interesting. Could be something random he found and out in the same box as his WW2 ribbons/patches.

#6 WW2JAKE

WW2JAKE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 125,364
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

thanks gents. after doing a search, I came across these on ebay at the moment:attachicon.gifepaulets.JPG

I think it's got to be the case that these were cut away. No one in my family was in jrotc/rotc that I know of, though my grandfather was a collector of just about anything he found that he thought was interesting. Could be something random he found and out in the same box as his WW2 ribbons/patches.

on second thought ive heard some say they resemble 1947-1950 transitional female chevrons but ive never seen any proof, maybe something to look into

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users