Cool direct embroidered A/B baseball cap

bheskett

I got this hat, along with two of his West Point textbooks, from the vets family quite a while ago (it was all they had left).

The soldiers name is Roy A. Hoffman and I believe he graduated from West Point in 1944. The cap itself was made by "Verne the Tailor" at Fort Bragg, this is printed on the sweatband. As you can see in the pics there are a bunch of insignias directly embroidered to the cap. On the rear are four flags, United States, with what appears to be 48 stars, Republic of China, Korea and the United Nations. I am guessing that the embroidery was done overseas as the 82nd insignia has a orange background and not red. I know that some threads fade and change colors but the red border of the 82nd is red. Another error in the patches that makes me think overseas embroidery is the 9th Army insignia has only 8 sides. I am not sure when the MAAG insignia and the 8th Army EUSA Depot insignias were used.

Any comments or additions to the hat or the vet are greatly appreciated.

Pics

post-3384-0-75328500-1421705303.jpg

post-3384-0-44889500-1421705313.jpg

post-3384-0-57877500-1421705321.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

I was thinking that era as well. Does anyone have a copy of the West Point yearbook from 1944? perhaps I can get a pic of him.

Bob

• 2 years later...

Thanks very much. I have a scan from the West Point yearbook that I found online. I also found his biography.

This one I have is years later, 1958.

Then yes that would be great. Thanks for the link to the OBIT. I also have a couple of his textbooks from West Point that are pretty interesting. Both are large format maps that would accompany written texts for his classes.

Then yes that would be great. Thanks for the link to the OBIT. I also have a couple of his textbooks from West Point that are pretty interesting. Both are large format maps that would accompany written texts for his classes.

I'll do it tommorow.