Beverly Hills modified uniforms

Bob Hudson

I bought a pile of uniforms from a picker the other day and he threw in this one for nothing extra:

1.jpg

This is not something a kid did, it's not a Halloween costume - rather it is high fashion from Beverly Hills. I would not be surprised if someone paid hundreds of dollars to have this Navy Chief Petty Officer's uniform modified, including patches, bullion and velvet extensions of the sleeves. There is a label in the coat and I thought it was the name of the tailor, but a Google search reveals it is the name of the person who paid to have it modified. She is a "Beverly Hills socialite," which means aging party girl with lots of money. There is also a label with the name of the originial owner, the Navy CPO:

2.jpg

This is not the only military jacket this socialite had modified: the Google search turned up this modified USMC enlisted dress uniform coat that also had her name in it. It was up for sale a couple of years ago online.

3.jpg

I have to say that as goofy as this looks to a militaria collector, the workmanship is first rate and it makes for an interesting piece of bling:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

One more strange thing about this uniform. It had this note in the pocket:

7.jpg

That is the same story the picker told me when I bought the pile of uniforms. He certainly didn't do it to jack up price because he didn't charge me anything for this one. Kay Perry's parents do live not too far from here, so it's conceivable her dad could sell at the Oceanside swap meet. The picker said "Katy Perry's dad" said she used it in a music video. It would be interesting to find such a thing, but it could even have been worn in a concert. However, I take that whole story with a grain of salt.

As much as Katy Perry is into costumes, I really wouldn't be surprised if it was true. It's pretty clear she has imagination and takes enjoyment in playing.

When I scrolled down to the uniform you posted my first thought was 'That sure looks like something Michael Jackson wore', except he liked sequins. Shortly before MJ died I watched an interview where he was wearing a navy blue jacket with a 1st Class Petty Officer's rate done up in sequins.

It's funny that entertainers and singers (who usually are the first to want to celebrate individuality) also like to wear military themed costumes, but it is the incongruity of being in a mold and then breaking the mold that they strive to capture. That and let's face it; military styles have been pretty elaborate over the centuries, often influencing civilian dress trends.

Weird, but I kind of like it. weird can be good.

My thoughts exactly Rusty....something MJ would have had.

Also its funny how at times the celebs can be anti military but wear military themed or style costumes/uniforms.

Thats a Rock and Roll piece stage wear in the same ilk as Bob Hope wear.

It may kill in on the right auction.

owen

So where do I find that auction?

Apparently this woman - whose wealth comes from real estate - spent a bundle on this kind of fashion. One-time Hollywood bombshell Mamie Van Doren posted this photo showing the socialite and her husband. Below that is an enlargement of the USMC dress uniform shown above:

dauercouple.jpg

dauerusmc.jpg

I just threw-up a bit when I saw this! But I might have purchased it also. The photo made me want to gag a bit more.

Owen, your comment, "Thats a Rock and Roll piece stage wear in the same ilk as Bob Hope wear." I would somewhat disagree with. This doesn't seem to be a "Stage Wear" item, just a Hollywood party item. Bob Hope went overseas to areas that were actual combat zones and put on entertainment for troops during WW II, Korea, Viet-Nam and Desert Storm. Something relatively few big time Hollywood" entertainers did. He did wear military uniforms, but the insignia (besides the "USO" insignia of the WW II era) were given to him by the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines whom he preformed shows for. They were attached as a tribute to those who still were engaged in actual air, sea or land combat. Many of those who attended his USO shows did not survive the war(s). He did not wear it as "bling" to Hollywood parties as this "uniform" seems to have been. I would be surprised if he wore any outside of any of his USO shows.

While Bob Hope was a very intelligent business man, and probably thought it was a good career move to "entertain the troops" I have to imagine he also was a Proud American and wanted to "Support the Troops".

I was deployed to an "actual combat zone" where civilians died there due to enemy combat operations, combat zones are dangerous! Bob Hope went anyway and I have a LOT of respect for that!

BKW

Ironically, I couldn't $10 on the forum for a CPO uniform like that.

I'm wondering who did the direct embroidery of the eagles and stars; they look well done. It seems all the examples you have posted incorporate the same work, so perhaps all of them were done for that party?

I'm wondering who did the direct embroidery of the eagles and stars; they look well done. It seems all the examples you have posted incorporate the same work, so perhaps all of them were done for that party?

There were four of them done for this woman, that I've found. She lives in Beveraly Hills and founded a group of Beverly Hills women who throw extereme dresss up parties where all of the women wear tiaras, etc. There are lots of costumers in that area who can produce all manner of custom clothes for well-paying socialites and movie studios.

I would not be surprised to learn she paid $200-300 or more for each of these.

8.jpg

Unfortunately they almost almost approach the appearance of modern US Army uniforms, overloaded with so many 'at a boys and other cheap looking knick knacks. A Sergeant with half a dozen years of service these days has more stuff on his uniform than a General did in WW2.

CB

Unfortunately they almost almost approach the appearance of modern US Army uniforms, overloaded with so many 'at a boys and other cheap looking knick knacks. A Sergeant with half a dozen years of service these days has more stuff on his uniform than a General did in WW2.

CB

Yeah, but at least that Sergeant with a half dozen years in service earn the stuff on his dress uniform, as opposed to these trainwrecks.

Cool find, tho.

Hey! They look like my whole collection! You guys tell me your joking? This is not real? I have 28 of these.....LOL I'd get out grandma's Thread picker & strip everyone of them. ROFL!