AMERICAN PICKER EPISODE: MUSEUM MAN

BEAST

I wouldn't be surprised if they bought any of the stuff they "bought" at all. From my very limited experience in the unreal TV business in a similar genre, prices were negotiated, deals struck...and then the original owners returned home with the stuff they brought - but the whole buying/selling transaction looked GREAT on TV! :D

When I was on LORDS OF WAR I brought two uniforms from a couple who meant while in the service in WWII. She was a WOMAN MARINE sgt and he was a NAVY officers. The producers decided my $$350-400 pair of uniforms was worth $600 and that is what they "sold for" during the staged auction, which was shot in three takes with each bidder whatever the producer told them to bid. In one of the three takes they shot me and the expert "reacting" to the scripted bidding. In the other two takes our mikes were turned off and we just mouthed the reactions.

Since all of the bidders were paid to be there and only made fake bids, I left at the end of the long shooting day with my uniforms (but how wish I'd had the $600 instead).

Checkout the authentic-looking militaria bidders - they were actually hired through an ad. The arrow points to the soccer mom "winner" of the uniforms.

lordsbids.jpg

lordsmar.jpg

lordsauc.jpg

The picker guys do set up at the biggest Motorcycle show in the US every year at the Blackhawk show held at Davenport, Iowa during the labor day weekend. I see them and some of the stuff they do picked up on the TV show so yes they do resell it.

They pass up military because it's not their thing, just like when I'm at the flea market and pass up a $500 Barbie for $20 in a box with a $250 WWII MP helmet at the bottom of the box for $100 I want.

Bob: Didn't you say they asked you to wear the eyepatch even though you didn't need it that day?

That's correct. I had a recurring eye problem then and needed the eyepatch sometimes, so I sent the producers photos of me with and without it. Just as we started to film the first scene the producer said, "Wait, wasn't there a patch?" I explained and he asked if I had one - I did, in the car - so on this very hot day (for coastal California, anyway) I wore the patch even though I didn't need it and it was quite uncomfortable.

So, even a disability can be faked on reality TV.

I've been watching the Netflix catalog of American Pickers recently and was wondering if they have a crew that drives/ trailers the van to the various locales and Mike and Frank then fly to the specific filming location? On a separate note--the show American Restoration is just as bad, if not worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching the Netflix catalog of American Pickers recently and was wondering if they have a crew that drives/ trailers the van to the various locales and Mike and Frank then fly to the specific filming location?

That's exactly what they do. Mike and Frank just drive a few miles or so to the location. Their staff visited the site long before shooting day and pretty much determined what items would be picked and neogtiated the prices. The location owner does not actually meet Frank and Mike until that moment on camera when they knock on the door (and the owner comes to the door already miked so we can hear them).

That's exactly what they do. Mike and Frank just drive a few miles or so to the location. Their staff visited the site long before shooting day and pretty much determined what items would be picked and neogtiated the prices. The location owner does not actually meet Frank and Mike until that moment on camera when they knock on the door (and the owner comes to the door already miked so we can hear them).

That is exactly what was done at a junk/antique shop about 10 miles from me. Their producer was there long before them and set everything up, then the "boy's" show up and go thru the skit. They do buy and sell some of the stuff. You could even go over there and see them as everyone knew they were coming.

• 2 weeks later...
VladimirBerkov

I get that it's cheap to make these shows, but when it slowly becomes the norm for all channels of all types to constantly push these fake-reality buying/selling frauds there has to be a bubble that bursts at some point.

• 11 months later...
Museummansdaughter

If anyone saw the newest episode of American Pickers, they were in Indiana (filmed during Summer '14) and they visited a woman (Petey) whose parents run antique shops and had a lot of military. One of the items shown in the episode was the uniform worn by Col John Foster who was the ambassador to Mexico and Russia in the 1880s. The viewer didn't get a very good look at the uniform or the rest of the group, but it was sold at the Rock Island Auction in September 2014 for a realized price of $28,750.

I grabbed one photo of the uniform from their site and have included a link to the page if anyone is interested. Col Foster was a Hoosier who served with throughout the Civil War.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/62/lid/1032

attachicon.gifFOSTER 1.jpg

hi there, my parents owned this awesome uniform and set for many years,, i am so happy u got to see the show, this uniform condition it amazing,

Museummansdaughter

Yes, the group to include the melted Mexican coin Aztec calendar was sold in September 2014 for $28,750.

http://www.rockislan...aid/62/lid/1032

it sold, i was expecting it to bring more, but i got my hopes up because the auctioneers tended to believe it would bring a WHOLE lot more,,,, it wasnt the best day of my life,,bittersweet

Museummansdaughter

+1 on your evaluation of these type shows. Been involved with several History Channel shows and what you wrote is 110% correct. Staged and pre-scripted. Also "Storage War" is bad, some of the lockers are not the ones bid on, but rather staged for the show.

Pawn Stars is pre-scripted, and even rehearsed for final editting. A shame that so many think these are "reality shows" and pushed as same by the stations. I no longer watch these shows.

our's wasnt pre-planned or staged, trust me, i held out for top dollar or i told Mike he could WALK,, i dont know about other episodes, but as was as real as real can get for '' television''.. but no,, nobody suggested PRICES for me,, items i knew about or that had a original price tag on them is what they were gonna PAY, or we'de move on to the next item,, when u saw me BUCK up and hold my own, it was the REAL DEAL,, my parents worked WAY to hard for 67 years to take hits now,,, it was fun... but sad at the same time, and the MILITARY collection my parents have is over whelming,,,,i was surprised they didnt buy any tho.. Petie

Museummansdaughter

Beautiful Uniform. Did Mike and Frank purchase it on the show or pass it up?

they PASSED,, they said it was out of their WHEELHOUSE,,,,,,,,

Welcome to the forum Petie.

I saw you for the umpteenth time last night going through your dad's stuff.

I see something new each time on those shelves.

Somehow I never tire of it or the show for that mater.

We watch those reruns over and over and over.

Museummansdaughter

I watched that episode. The guy looked like he had quite a bit of military packed away on those shelves.

- Henry[/quo

Ifit is the guy I have heard about a friend of mine has been in his shop over the last 5 or 6 years he has a ton of stuff and has sold a lot of stuff. I have heard he has four or five buildings full of items but a couple of the buildings are getting in bad shape and the roofs are caving in

hi there,, it couldnt be my parents your friend is talking about,, our buildings arent falling in and never were,,, when they shop closed after my mom got sick with 4 types of cancer,, we sold out her humongous Gun shop inventory and then dad got down and it was time to close the doors,,, and thank GOD we have family about 3 hours away that owns warehouses and we moved everything there to be able to sort it,, photograph it for the web page we now have up and running,, we try to add at least 5 items a day,, but i want to clear it up, thats our buildings have always been in good shape,, this is cool ya saw the show,, Petie

That's correct. I had a recurring eye problem then and needed the eyepatch sometimes, so I sent the producers photos of me with and without it. Just as we started to film the first scene the producer said, "Wait, wasn't there a patch?" I explained and he asked if I had one - I did, in the car - so on this very hot day (for coastal California, anyway) I wore the patch even though I didn't need it and it was quite uncomfortable.

So, even a disability can be faked on reality TV.

Bob nobody said that being a TV star is easy.

You pulled that eye patch routine off just fine.

I couldn't even tell it was bothering you.

Sorry I just read that and had to pull your leg :lol:

Museummansdaughter

Yeah, he passed up lots of good stuff. They just don't get there is a great market on militaria

-Dave

my parents were collectors for over 67 years the collections is mind boggling,, we are sorting and appraising and listing on our new webpage as i speak,, but they really did walk past the military items,,

Museummansdaughter

Their business is not selling collectibles: their business is being TV stars. Keep in mind that they really don't care for the most part about buying for resale: just like the Pawn Stars cast they are got rich from being paid as TV performers. Their stores (actually Mike's stores) probably turn a profit just selling t-shirts to tourists.

AGREED !! their money { millions} is being the '' STARS'',, and the shirts and souvenirs,, no doubt

Museummansdaughter

Ditto to "be glad they don't seek out and OVERPRICE military items". Pawn Stars etc have already made it difficult to buy anything 50 + years old. The Indiana Dealer the subject of this post -- If it is the same Stewart or Steward (his store front was in one brief shot) that came to Florida Gun Collectors shows in the 70's - 80's he had alot of very good items. Richard

i am Bob Stewart's daughter and i think your speaking of my dad,, yes, my mom ran the HUGE GUN SHOP and dad would travel and hit the knife and gun shows, you are correct, their collection is amazing and he did not fool with reproductions and fake phoney stuff,,, he was a serious collector,, i do believe your speaking of my dad,, and we have just now got a webpage set up ,, we try to put at least 5 items a day on it, but we are going to have to get appraisers to help with the military items,, my parents have massive amounts of every war, CIVIL WAR, WW 1 WW 2 i mean A LOT !!!! it was neat to see some body that was aware of y dad,,

Petie

Museummansdaughter

Welcome to the forum Petie.

I saw you for the umpteenth time last night going through your dad's stuff.

I see something new each time on those shelves.

Somehow I never tire of it or the show for that mater.

We watch those reruns over and over and over.

hi there,, i am so glad u saw the show and the re-runs of it, ya say u see some thing new every time ya watch it, SO DO I hehehe,,,,,,, oh boy theres a lot of way cool items, we got the webpage up and running, i dont know... do we have permission to list it here?,

Museummansdaughter

Or an antique oil can! ;)

Dan.

:blink:we have a lot of items that i thought would stop them in their tracks,,, but they didnt,,

Petie

:blink:we have a lot of items that i thought would stop them in their tracks,,, but they didnt,,

Petie

because they have no clue about how to value MOST militaria. you guys had some great stuff from what could be seen in the camera pans.