Gaunt WW para wings

sgtbarnes44

What do you think of that para wings. J.R GAUNT LONDON in raised letters and SILVER stamped.

Acquired in France.

Are these repros or real WW2 made ?

post-647-1215852314.jpg

Hello,

I have some bad news, but IMHO, I think that these may be no good for 3 reasons--I recall these points being made a few years ago in a WAF forum:

1) if you look at the second and third shroud lines from the right, you see that they merge a good distance from the bottom. Also, as most of the shroud lines converge at the bottom of the parachute, they loose a sharp definition. In vintage wings, this isnt the case.

2) if you look at the back, the JR Gaunt is at an angle, with one end nearly touching the top of the indented region. Also, the back has some indication of casting.

3) the "silver" mark. Gary Caine and I had a discussion where he said that English wings would never be marked silver. At first I disagreed with him, but now believe that he is correct. the SILVER mark in regards to English items is meaningless, as it should be marked STERLING and/or have the appropriate hallmarks. Also, no way this wing is made of silver, it is clearly a pot metal of some sort.

Finally, here is a nice discussion of airborne fake wings by one of the real experts:

http://www.insigne.org/Fakes-I-Abn.htm I think you have one of the wings described at the very bottom of the article. Sorry to say.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I have some bad news, but IMHO, I think that these may be no good for 3 reasons--I recall these points being made a few years ago in a WAF forum:

1) if you look at the second and third shroud lines from the right, you see that they merge a good distance from the bottom. Also, as most of the shroud lines converge at the bottom of the parachute, they loose a sharp definition. In vintage wings, this isnt the case.

2) if you look at the back, the JR Gaunt is at an angle, with one end nearly touching the top of the indented region. Also, the back has some indication of casting.

3) the "silver" mark. Gary Caine and I had a discussion where he said that English wings would never be marked silver. At first I disagreed with him, but now believe that he is correct. the SILVER mark in regards to English items is meaningless, as it should be marked STERLING and/or have the appropriate hallmarks. Also, no way this wing is made of silver, it is clearly a pot metal of some sort.

Finally, here is a nice discussion of airborne fake wings by one of the real experts:

http://www.insigne.org/Fakes-I-Abn.htm I think you have one of the wings described at the very bottom of the article. Sorry to say.

Patrick

Hello,

Patrick

Actually the front is the same as the original, don't assume because something does not line up it is not real. But what is incorrect is shown on the back. The clasp is wrong, notice the sqaure cut and not a point also it is a little too thick, the gauage of the metal used in the clasp is wrong.