FLIGHT DECK USS HORNET CV-12 Ship Builder Award

otter42

I bet its a price of the wood they used for building of the flight deck, unless it is from a piece they took off the deck as part of a repair job. I do like it!

Kurt

The contract to build Hornet was given to Newport News Shipbuilding on 9 September 1940, and her keel was laid down on 3 August 1942.

Hornet was recommissioned on 20 March 1951, then sailed from San Francisco for the New York Naval Shipyard where she was decommissioned on 12 May for conversion to an attack aircraft carrier CVA-12. On 11 September 1953, she was recommissioned as an attack carrier. The ship then trained in the Caribbean Sea before departure from Norfolk on 11 May 1954 on an eight-month global cruise.

I bet this is from the 1951-3 conversion and is part of the original deck they removed.

Kurt

That's really cool!

I've got a chunk of the deck of the USS Franklin...not nearly as pretty as yours is, by far!!!

FranklinDeck.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

The USS Hornet is currently moored at the former Alameda NAS. Last time I was there I think they had ripped out the flight deck, but that was several years ago and a couple years before that it was in really, really sad shape (whether it was still wood or not escapes me). Best ABN

• 2 weeks later...
TorpedoSquadron11

These blocks of wood were made from original pieces of the Hornet's flight deck and given to workers and contractors. From May 1951 to September 1953 most of the wooden flight deck was removed while at the New York Naval Shipyard.

Attached is a photo of a piece of flight deck from my collection. Sorry for the crappy cell pic.

post-106257-0-80729900-1422282687.jpg