Goggles...Pearl Harbor veteran

doyler

Found thes goggles in an antique shop a few years ago.Have done a little research but nothing conclusive.Found the veteran listed in the book Heroes of the Air.Some time later I purchased a uniform from a picker I know and the name sounded familiar.Sure enough it was the same as the one listed in the goggle tin.Uniform and goggles were found over a 150 miles apart but had to come from the same estate auction.

The uniform was for an Army Air Forces officer,had a silver star ribbon on it as well as British pilots wing over right pocket.Im thinking there is a intresting research project and story that will surface.

post-342-0-85121000-1421211735.jpg

post-342-0-73960300-1421211706.jpg

Looks like you nailed it!

Thanks so much for the added information.

Goggles arent in very god shape.Look like early-pre war private purchase type.Have to wonder if he wore these during his Midway flight?

Intresting to see when he became an officer.

aussie digger

From Wikipedia.

Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, the 50th was re-designated the 431st Bombardment Squadron. In June 1942, shortly after the Battle of Midway, the 11th Group was authorized as a mobile force by the Army Air Forces in order to respond to a Navy request by Admiral Nimitz for long-range armed search planes support for locating Japanese fleets and with firepower to withstand defending Japanese fighter attacks while tracking the fleet.

post-51559-0-20374700-1421212834.jpg

aussie digger

Mate you are welcome! I would like to think he wore those flying over Midway. Have done a little looking into the 1380th foreign transport squadron. I think it was part of the North Atlantic Air Ferry Route. Note his form mentions Presque Isle. Working with that RAF unit may explain the RAF wings.

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_air_ferry_route_in_World_War_II

The North Atlantic Route was initially operated by the 23d Army Air Forces Ferrying Wing, Army Air Forces Ferrying Command, initially headquartered at Presque Isle Army Air Field, Maine. Ferrying Command was re-designated Air Transport Command on 1 July 1942. The 23d Ferrying Wing was replaced by the ATC North Atlantic Division, Grenier Army Air Base, New Hampshire on 1 January 1944.[10] The Royal Air Force counterpart organization was RAF Ferry Command (before mid-1941 known as RAF Atlantic Ferry Service and after March 1943 No. 45 (North Atlantic) Group within RAF Transport Command).

The route was inaugurated in the spring of 1942, with large movements of aircraft taking place during the summer. Many serious problems were encountered, and the total loss rate on the route approached 10%. On 22 November Air Transport Command suspended the transportation of passengers across the North Atlantic for the duration of the winter. ATC traffic to Great Britain was diverted to the South Atlantic air ferry route in World War II. The distance to Britain by this route was significantly longer, but operations could be maintained on a year-round basis.

Hi Ron,

Nice to match the goggles with the uniform. Take a look at my recent posting in the "Groupings" forum. It's titled:

USAAF Pilot Grouping - Graduate of #5 BFTS

Nearly all of the US graduates from the BFTS flight schools were posted to the Air Transport Command after graduation. Might be the reason for the RAF brevet on your guy. I posted my thread in response to an old one from Dave regarding a jacket he had/haves with a previously unexplained RAF brevet. Here is a photo of my grouping that I'm talking about. Just thought I'd throw this thought out to you and hope that it may aid in your research.

Paul

post-23999-0-65649100-1421238625.jpg

Thanks Paul

Great uniform and information.

Still looking into this a little as he must have taken pilot trading after his time at Midway.

Thanks Brian

Need to get it back together.There is some loose items in the pockets and havent taken the time to put it all back to order.Its just the way it was found at the auction by the picker.

Awesome find mate! I think I have your man!

Silver star for Midway.

Thanks again J.

Super research and this is coming together.The uniform was found at a Dallas Center Auction.No sign of the Silver Star medal there according to the picker.

What do you think its worth?

aussie digger

Nice, Dallas Center makes perfect sense looking at all his paperwork. Im not certain on value of this, I dont get much exposure to the real top shelf stuff like this. Its probably worth more than the wifes car!

501stGeronimo

For what is there, and this isn't the what's it worth section but what the heck :D I'd personally be happy to drop 600.00 to 700.00 for the group IMHO.

Thanks for the input 501.

The uniforms with Brit wings are not common in them selves then to add in the Pearl Harbor and Midway tie.

Not having a Pearl Harbor related item before to a confirmed veteran wasnt sure of how it would effect its intrest or if it adds at all to the over intrest or historical intrest of the uniform since its something loo email later in his service.The goggles are something ge ghost ad and had very early on.Just not in great condition but they are what they are and just glad they survived.

Thanks again

Hi Ron,

Nice to match the goggles with the uniform. Take a look at my recent posting in the "Groupings" forum. It's titled:

USAAF Pilot Grouping - Graduate of #5 BFTS

Nearly all of the US graduates from the BFTS flight schools were posted to the Air Transport Command after graduation. Might be the reason for the RAF brevet on your guy. I posted my thread in response to an old one from Dave regarding a jacket he had/haves with a previously unexplained RAF brevet. Here is a photo of my grouping that I'm talking about. Just thought I'd throw this thought out to you and hope that it may aid in your research.

Paul

attachicon.gifphpgF07y8AM.jpg

Paul

Thats a great uniform and outstanding research.Thanks for adding to the topic.Im posting a link tp your topic im case others want to read it also

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/226264-usaaf-pilot-grouping-graduate-of-5-bfts/

Ron,

Thanks for your kind words. I took a second look at the RAF wings on my uniform and compared them to the ones on yours. As I'm sure you are aware there are many many RAF wing variants. However our two look very similar if not the same, rounded wing tops and padded. My money is on that your research will find this guy was a BFTS graduate and if so you'll probably find that he flew for the ATC after graduation. Please keep me/us updated on your research. Thanks again!

Paul