T19 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage in 1/35 by Dragon

Proud Kraut

Many many thanks to all of you guys - a fantastic motivation!

Spent some time with modeling the figures this evening. I choosed 5 figures of the MB Artillery crew. The gun commander holding the field telephone (and counting down...). The aimer and a gunner ready to fire plus two ammo handlers passing the next round to the gun. This is the crew assembled.

fig1.jpg

fig2.jpg

Hey Lars, nice set up of the figures. They look well positioned and will compliment T19 handsomely. Looking forward to the finished work.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

Your weathering technique is really outstanding. Having spent over three years of my life in Iraq, I can complement your dusting of the vehicle. That type of dirt gets in to literally everything! Very nice work!

Proud Kraut

Manny & Major Z thank you very much for these compliments!

Busy days so slow progress at the moment. I started to paint the figures last weekend...

fig1.jpg

Lars, your weathering is fantastic! Can't wait to see the rest of this kit (and eventual diorama?) come together. When you put the first coat of OD on, why did you lightly cover parts of the halftrack's body and chassis?

The section chief must have been a slacker, to let his crew be all over the place in uniforms - shirtless, tshirt, sleeves rolled up, sleeves down. No uniformity! That ought to challenge your painting skills?

Great job,

Steve

Proud Kraut

Lars, your weathering is fantastic! Can't wait to see the rest of this kit (and eventual diorama?) come together. When you put the first coat of OD on, why did you lightly cover parts of the halftrack's body and chassis?

The section chief must have been a slacker, to let his crew be all over the place in uniforms - shirtless, tshirt, sleeves rolled up, sleeves down. No uniformity! That ought to challenge your painting skills?

Great job,

Steve

Thank you very much, Steve. It's nearly impossible to see it in the pictures. I try to avoid the monotone look of plain areas with preshading and multiple layers of airbrushed colors.

Referring to the uniforms, you're right. From the modeler's ponit of view: the more variations the better. I'm unsure at the moment, if these should be OD or khaki ones. Maybe somebody can help out here?

• 4 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

Back to (hobby) work again. Can somebody please give me a little help regarding to the color of a WW II uniform's t-shirt? I'm afraid my online research wasn't successfull.

Tshirt.jpg

Back to (hobby) work again. Can somebody please give me a little help regarding to the color of a WW II uniform's t-shirt? I'm afraid my online research wasn't successfull.

Unfortunately for you, the Army did not wear "T-Shirt" style undershirts with sleeves in WWII, only the Navy and Marines did. The Army wore a sleeveless "tank top" type undershirt. They were white prior to 1943, when they changed to OD.

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Articles/Tshirts/index.html

During WW2 the Army chose to use the OD green “A” shirt or tank top style shirt. Again this was a thin cotton t-shirt used to absorb sweat in the field. Although these shirts were G.I. issue many soldiers chose to wear their own under garments reverting to using the crew neck style shirts.

So the T-shirts were worn by army personnel although maybe not officially.

Erwin

So the T-shirts were worn by army personnel although maybe not officially.

Erwin

Because one website says so? I've been dealing with US Army uniforms both as a hobby and professionally for close to 35 years and I've never run across any evidence of T-Shirt style undershirts being worn in the Army in any significant numbers. Did one guy somewhere wear one? I'm sure, but the vast majority wore what the Army issued. And I'm not talking about the custom printed type shirts that some schools and units wore stateside.

Since it's two figures in a diorama, it doesn't matter much either way, but since Proud Kraut asked...

If it was worn by one or two soldiers, it was worn, right?

And I quoted only one site, yes.

There were a few others stating the same as well, but I didn't find it relevant to list them all here.

Since the model builder has two figures wearing that style of undershirt, he can paint them white or even offwhite.

Erwin

Proud Kraut

Erwin and B229 thank you very much for the input. I appreciate it. Unfortunately the boxart isn't very helpfull in this case:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://militarymodels.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/Masterbox-3577-1-35-US-Artillery-Crew-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://militarymodels.co.nz/tag/masterbox-3577-1-35-us-artillery-crew/&h=511&w=800&tbnid=yDgDD2_vaVfMjM:&zoom=1&tbnh=90&tbnw=141&usg=__gZ8AK6z-GF5Cjwc_vWydOy7CFYc=&docid=eROrKingZSaf_M

So it's my understanding that these shirts would be (white) private purchased shirts since the officially issued ones without sleeves would be in OD color.

Thanks again!

Lars

Hi Lars,

That would be the safest thing to do, I guess.

Somewhere I read these shirt were soaked In coffee or something (by Marines if I recall correctly) to make them not stand out so much.

I guess wearing a white shirt in the desert for a long time would render it sort of off-white as well, no?

Erwin

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

just found this thread, love the work, as to the army teeshirts most of the WWII ones i have bought and sold have been of the type that used to be nicknamed "wife beater" but were really BVD's and i have found them in white, off white, light brown, and a few in od 7. hope this doesn't confuse the issue even more.

Well known photo of a GI with a captured German helmet and doggy.
Taken during the Normandy Campaign.
He appears to wear a white T-shirt.

post-157-0-55648900-1428141518.jpg

Erwin

• 1 month later...
Proud Kraut

Will I ever finish one project? Probably not! Too many fantastic kits out there and too less space to display completed dios. But I'll try...

After I have failed modeling the base (the plaster base broke) I continued with small parts and ammo yesterday. The kit includes no separate shells so I had to dig through the spare parts boxes...

Ammo.jpg

Ammo2.jpg

Proud Kraut

A very good help one more time when looking out more informations about equipment & ammo is this site:

http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/105mm%20Ordnance/8%20105mmReferences.html

When you scroll down, you'll find more links to further detailed informations, great site!

What really annoys me is the fact that the MB figure set's helmets are too small. They do not fit the figure's heads. Aaaaarghhhh....

Proud Kraut

As always, great stuff. I plan on using your methods when I start my halftrack this summer.

Thank you! Why not posting your project step by step here? Would be great to see another halftrack "growing up"!

So this is what I have achieved today. Still a lot of work to do, especially with that d**ed base.

31_1.jpg

31_2.jpg

31_3.jpg

Will I ever finish one project? Probably not! Too many fantastic kits out there and too less space to display completed dios. But I'll try...

After I have failed modeling the base (the plaster base broke) I continued with small parts and ammo yesterday. The kit includes no separate shells so I had to dig through the spare parts boxes...

attachicon.gifAmmo.jpg

attachicon.gifAmmo2.jpg

Hey Lars; I like how you positioned your figures, they interact very well with each other in the scene. BTW as a suggestion, I see you're using plaster for your base, I like to use wood (solid/plywood etc.) and glue styrofoam on top and use celluclay. Its less weight and you can also mold the celluclay in any shape you want; just like the plaster. Good luck on your base and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished diorama. I'm finishing up my diorama base and I'll post some pics prior to me setting up the figures. Keep the faith.

Manny

Semper Fi.

Great skills and a really interesting setting.

Can't wait to see the finished diorama.

Does the loader behind the halftrack have dogtags on? (Just a detail.)

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

Well, I promised to finish at least ONE project in 2015. Here it is: The completed T19 dio, now waiting for some foto shots in front of some matching background (not too easy to find over here).

Dio1.jpg

dio2.jpg