T19 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage in 1/35 by Dragon

Proud Kraut

Yes, I know, there are a couple of unfinished dios and model kits but I can't await building this kit I found under the christmas tree:

t19_01.jpg

Three main causes for modeling this kit at once are:

1. I love Halftracks!

2. I need a limited project to test some more airbrushing and weathering techniques.

3. The 105mm howitzer has a very special meaning for me...

...as some of you know I'm a Red Leg. Received Arty basic training in1986 with the 105mm that was widely used by the German Army, mostly for training purposes. Some impressions...

The "105er" with MAN truck:

T19_06a.jpg

Preparing the ammo

t19_08.jpg

Trying to look as cool as possible

t19_07.jpg

Ready to Fire

t19_06.jpg

3 rounds complete

FA11.jpg

To end this sentimental journey I want to share the keepsake I "saved" from my gun ;-)

t19_05.jpg

Now let's have a look inside the model box:

t19_02.jpg

@Gil, more than 150 parts...we'll see.

@Terry, no dio planned. Although, would be my first Africa campaign dio since the T19 saw action in this theater only as far as I could find out.

North Africa, Sicily and Italy.

The M7 Priest took its place and those T19 remaining were reconverted to M3s.

Seems like a very rare vehicle.

Erwin

North Africa, Sicily and Italy.

The M7 Priest took its place and those T19 remaining were reconverted to M3s.

Seems like a very rare vehicle.

Erwin

Erwin, thanks for the input!

So this is what we have so far after 2 evenings of modeling. Believe it or not, these are exact 120 parts:

t19-2a.jpg

Parts are fitting perfectly, as usual. The construction manual is sometimes confusing with some mistakes, as well as usual with Dragon kits.

Some nice features like the tires that are leveled at the bottom. Idiotically the front axle is not steerable, so I had to modify it a bit (straight wheels are boring).

t19-2b.jpg

...meanwhile this new color set by Lifecolor has arrived. I wonder how the different shades of OD will look like. BTW I like the motto on the box cover: "If it moves...shoot it...if not paint in olive drab". Did anybody already use Lifecolor colors?

t19-2e.jpg

Been wanting to pick this one up... I have the M3(75mm), M16, M2 and M4 Halftracks in the closet now. Dragon really did well on their US Halftrack series. They really went all out on the suspension and skeletonizing the drive and idler wheels. I especially like the track molded in hard styrene and not those flexible rubber bands Tamiya and Monogram used that never look right.

Been wanting to pick this one up... I have the M3(75mm), M16, M2 and M4 Halftracks in the closet now. Dragon really did well on their US Halftrack series. They really went all out on the suspension and skeletonizing the drive and idler wheels. I especially like the track molded in hard styrene and not those flexible rubber bands Tamiya and Monogram used that never look right.

Wayne, so I'm glad I'm starting with the Dragon kit! I started modeling 2 hours ago and intended to finish the gun today. Haha! This step turned out to be nerve-wrecking micro modeling. What you see are more than 30 parts assembled.

t19-31-a.jpg

...and unfortunately one part is broken/missing. Die "Ausgleichsfeder" (balance spring? don't know the right technical term, sorry). Aaaaarghhhhh.....

t19-31-b.jpg

I'm glad to have another 105 gun on hand. Maybe this part of the AFV kit will fit here as well....

t19-31-c.jpg

Recoil mechanism, perhaps? Recoil spring? Maybe one of our artillery folks can properly identify that.

Yes, probably, I will try to find the answer in a 105 manual tomorrow. Not much time for modeling during the week these days, so I've had to hurry up today. Completed the main vehicle's components today:

01t19a.jpg

Many nice photo etched parts:

01t19b.jpg

Components plugged together:

01t19c.jpg

Thanks guys! Top view. How did they communicate with the FDC? Per cable? I'm missing some radio etc.? Did they really carry the mounted .30 cal. MG in these T19s? Questions upon questions...

01t19e.jpg

01t19d.jpg

Great detail on the plastic parts of this kit. I always like when you can use aftermarket parts like the aluminum barrel and of course the photo etch pieces that came with the kit. So far it looks like a great build Lars.

I'm hoping you're going for a diorama set up with this kit, but I am looking forward to the painted completed model. Nice job, really nice job.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks guys! Top view. How did they communicate with the FDC? Per cable? I'm missing some radio etc.? Did they really carry the mounted .30 cal. MG in these T19s? Questions upon questions...

I was under the impression these were used more as TDs than as indirect fire...is that wrong? If they were in the IDF role, it surely would have been wire to connect to the FDC.

Awesome kit - look forward to your updates of painting and weathering techniques!

Steve

I'm pretty sure that the T-19s were used in more of a tank destroyer role and against fixed fortifications rather than for indirect fire. As far as communications with the FDCs go, wire if emplaced in a static location, radio if on the move. For wire communications, the EE-8 field phone was used. Any number of radios could have been used... BC1000, BC611, BC1306, SCR610 or 620, SCR506 or 508.