US Sword Knot with Whistle

SARGE

In order to help bring order to (or perhaps create more disorder) the discussion on sword knots, here is another variation.

This knot is found on the US 1902 Army Officer sword from time to time. It has a flat strap and a whistle incorporated within the barrel shaped ball portion of the knot.

Sword_knot_whistle.JPG

These knots were sold by various dealers as shown in this catalog displayed on the Military Horse website that was posted by Pat Holscher.

saber_knots_004.jpg

This knot is appreciably the same as the one shown as number 379 in the catalog. One thing to notice about this knot is the folded thin leather strap of excellent quality leather. Other things to notice are the two plaited leather sliders on the strap and the plaited ornamentation on the top of the barrel shaped ball.

Sword_knot_whistle_close.JPG

Spathologist

Wow, that is just a fantastic knot! I have a poorer example of the whistle tassel on a braided knot, not nearly as elegantly executed as yours but still very loud. I think the whistle-knots are an interesting piece of adaptation!

post-1047-1215807512.jpg

Thanks for the kudos on my knot Varangian. I have not seen one quite like yours before. I think these whistle knots are very scarce. I believe they were an idea that was better in theory than in execution. It seems there was a whistle code where each whistle pitch meant a different size formation (if I recall correctly) so each unit could tell who was sounding what whistle. Very complicated in my book. think.gif

Pretty unusual knots, Stephen Dorsey has one on his site for sale price is $225. I'm kind of getting hooked on these knots. You guys appear to have some very nice ones.

Spathologist
Pretty unusual knots, Stephen Dorsey has one on his site for sale price is $225.

That's been gone for a while, he just hasn't updated his site.

I was a couple of days late on that one....