173rd BDU with Combat Jump

PriorityOne

Just bought this and had a few questions. With it being a combat jump, and in a combat role, why doesn't he have a CIB? The jacket I bought is missing his rank which is WO1 on another jacket that I did not buy, he must of became a warrent officer after his return from Iraq because when he made the jump he was a Sargent (http://www.173rdairborne.com/manifest-iraq.htm Chalk #9 20th from top). I did not receive it yet but I'll get some better pictures when I get it, the pictures are from the seller. If anyone can find any more info on the jacket, I'd love to know. Thanks!

post-153263-0-67915100-1420856967.jpg

He does not have a Combat Infantry Badge because he was in the medical field and is wearing the combat medical badge. Fitz was assigned to HHC and was a medic. He would not be awarded the combat infantryman's badge. He held a medical MOS.

Leigh

Hey No Problem..

It is a very desirable uniform.. If you look at the ratio of infantry to medical personnel who jumped, this uniform is less common. So you have a good score...Combat Medical Badge and a combat star on his jump wings... Very Nice..

Good job..

Leigh

To add to what Rakkasan187 said, I think the only medics that can get CIBs are Special Forces medics, and I also think that's a relatively recent change (like in the past 15 years or so?). Others here probably have more info on that.

Manchu Warrior

I have a 173rd BDU top with a CIB from a veteran of Operation Junction City. I purchased the top at an estate auction and I paid next to nothing for this top. His Class A's were also there and I was hoping to keep them together. But they sold his dress uniform later in the day and they went for $90.00. I asked the gentlemen who purchased the uniform what he was going to do with it and I almost fainted when he informed me that he was going to strip it. Someone also started to strip the BDU top but luckily they stuck his E7 rank and Army tape in the pocket. I apologize if I have in any way highjacked the thread.

post-1412-0-39385500-1420991247.jpg

To add to what Rakkasan187 said, I think the only medics that can get CIBs are Special Forces medics, and I also think that's a relatively recent change (like in the past 15 years or so?). Others here probably have more info on that.

I believe that's correct. IIRC the rule is that they can either get the CFMB (Combat Field Medical Badge) or the CIB but they can't get both, they have to choose which one they will get.

I don't know if SF Medics who do multiple deployments can choose to get a CFMB for one deployment and a CIB for another but I don't see why they couldn't.

• 3 years later...
BDU_Burger_Lover

I know this is an old topic, but I have recently acquired two BDU tops which belonged to the same veteran (small world isn't it?) and thought I would share. The shirt with the CMB on it must date back to when he was stationed in Vicenza with the 173rd Abn Bde, as you can still see where that unit's patch and characteristic smaller US Flag insignia were worn on its left sleeve. I believe he kept wearing both shirts as a Warrant Officer Candidate at Fort Rucker, as they both have pin holes on the collar which appear to match the WOC rank insignia.

post-158610-0-88946600-1521564829_thumb.jpg

BDU_Burger_Lover

Close-up of the CMB shirt's left sleeve:

post-158610-0-39888300-1521565908_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the pin holes on the EFMB shirts' collar:

post-158610-0-16777200-1521565913_thumb.jpg