1872 cavalary sword Real or Fake?

Antman

Hi,

A lady I know husband passed away and she found this sword, and some other stuff. I told her I would see if I could find some information on it as she may want to sell it.I saw Ridabock made/imported swords up until the 60s.

The blade has Ridabock & Co. New York. It has some minor pitting at the tip of the blade on both sides.

Etching on blade. Scabbard has a small dent and other small handling marks. On the bottom gilded piece it has a 48 stamped

into it . The hilt 13 stars and an eagle, with a Sunburst? on the front.

Is it a period piece or one made in the 1900s?

What does the 48 stand for?

What is it worth?

If she decides to sell it I will post it.

Thanks in advance or any info.

Ant.

I wiil post more pictures It will not let me delete them to add smaller ones

post-153435-0-55023500-1420743617.jpg

post-153435-0-72749700-1420743895.jpg

Real, Made Pre-1902, Probably made in the 1890's, the number 48 is an assembly number. Value $225-$350 based on blade etching condition.

Regards,

Terry

As nice as these are they really never took off in the collector area. I wonder if it was because of the abundance of CW era swords or because they were sold to fraternal groups? What ever the reason Terry nailed it. Nice sword by the way.

Terry

As nice as these are they really never took off in the collector area. I wonder if it was because of the abundance of CW era swords or because they were sold to fraternal groups? What ever the reason Terry nailed it. Nice sword by the way.

Terry

I think because they didn't really see any "war." Being so frail and useless for combat, the Indian War cavalrymen, who did carry swords, tended to prefer the old M1860 sabers, not these.

There were no trooper issued 1872 swords. There were apperntly some 20th century examples of plain ones assembled. The etched examples other than fraternal sales were for officers. There are lion pommel examples that were fraternal

post-55097-0-75506200-1420771155.jpg

Cheers

GC