M3 knife and m8 scabbard questions

cblackw1

I am on the market for a good M3 knife. Im looking for one that has history behind it. I know there are three different types of scabbards the m6 leather which was the earliest, the m8 and the m8a1. Were both the m8 and the m8a1 issued during ww2? I have heard that the belt hooks are always post ww2 on the scabbard. Another question is the placement of the markings on the knife itself. I know the blade marked 1943 is the earliest. When did they take the 1943 off? And when did they start putting the markings on the cross guard? Is that post d-day?

Thanks for the help

The M3's where only made from the Spring of 1943 to about July of 1944. At that point production was switched over to the M4 bayonet. Correct WW2 M8/M8A1 scabbards would be from B.M. Co. , with and without hangers. Gary published a production list in the past but I'm having trouble searching for the thread.

I am on the market for a good M3 knife. Im looking for one that has history behind it. I know there are three different types of scabbards the m6 leather which was the earliest, the m8 and the m8a1. Were both the m8 and the m8a1 issued during ww2? I have heard that the belt hooks are always post ww2 on the scabbard. Another question is the placement of the markings on the knife itself. I know the blade marked 1943 is the earliest. When did they take the 1943 off? And when did they start putting the markings on the cross guard? Is that post d-day?

Thanks for the help

heres a 45 M8a1 used in vietnam with this M7 bayonet notice the metal tips for the snaps color, direction of the snaps and the lack of metal tip

post-125364-0-99024800-1420675632.jpg

post-125364-0-48548400-1420675634.jpg

post-125364-0-19804500-1420675636.jpg

cblackw1- Dated blades are estimated to have been produced for about 3 months (approx)w/ the blade marked being produced until around Dec 1943. This could vary some, there were manufacturers who never made blade-dated M3s (Aerial, and Boker), plus RCC never made guard marked. SKIP