Vic Morrow as Sergeant Saunders

Combatsculp

Combatsculp

Hello,

I recently added a body to a small bust I created of the Sarge from the 60's tv show COMBAT!

The figure is 30" tall and I am making them available in bonded bronze and bronze (hot cast).

I enjoyed working on this figure not only because I admired Morrow's portrayal of Saunders as a kid. I love working on historical regalia and all that goes with it. I'm still working on the Thompson sling.

Hopefully the sculpture can be used as a model for a larger figure or just be a sample of what I could accomplish for Veteran's groups interested in future memorials.

More images are on my site:

http://www.keropiansculpture.com/sgtsaunders.html

sgtsaundersa.jpg

post-2095-1215736680.jpg

Being a kid from the 60's and a "COMBAT" veteran, I can say without any question... VERY NICE!

I am sure this took a lot of work, but it would be super cool if you could recreate the whole squad!

Checkmate King 2, this is White Rook, over!

I am sure this took a lot of work, but it would be super cool if you could recreate the whole squad!

Checkmate King 2, this is White Rook, over!

Cage,Your on point and check out that farm house.......

WOW! I'm blown away by your artistic talent illustrated here and on your website!!!!

Members: If you guys haven't checked out his website, I definitely recommend it! The work is stunningly real looking!

While the work is very good, i have to point out that you may into legal issues as this does not seem to be a licensed product. Representing Vic Morrow is a right owned by his estate, and linking it to a character from COMBAT! is a right you need to get from the holders of that property.

I know you mean well and its a tribute and all, but unless you have written poermission from both parties you stand to run into legal problems. Hollywod has batteries of lawyers that soend their time looking for things like this to go after so they can justify their paychecks.

That is NO-S**T real talent! So many "character" figures don't even look vaguely like the actual personality they purport to be. Too bad you didn't sculpt him in 1/35 or 54 mm...

At any rate, in regards to the legal issues, as long as you don't sell copies as "Vic Morrow" or "Sergeant Saunders" you should be OK. Most figure manufacturers work around this issue by selling such figgies as "Starship Captain" or "Gunslinger" etc.

You could title the figure "Squad Leader" or some such and be just fine as long as you don't make the connection to "COMBAT!" or "Vic Morrow" or "Sergeant Saunders" too solid.

"jgawne" does have a point, though. Copyright issues have actually driven up the costs of many scale model subjects as the license holders sue for their cut of the royalties. This is not just a Hollywood, entertainment industry issue either. Auto makers, heavy equipment manufacturers, and defense industry giants have all got into the act. If you buy a model of a HUMMER, be certain that AM General (or their lawyers) is getting a cut. Pick up a copy of the Walthers Model Railroad products catalog and see just how many footnotes there are that indicate "licensed product"!

Another example are the excellent Dragon Panzer IV kits which have "CONTININTAU" tires instead of "CONTININTAL" tires. Seems the tire manufacturing giant was more interested in money than historical accuracy.

In defense of some of these corporate behemoths, some just want rights of oversight to ensure that their corporate logos and products are represented accurately, and they don't actually charge killer licensing fees. They choose to look at the modeling product a a form of "free advertising." Others, though, especially Hollywood concerns who live or die by such fees, charge an arm or a leg. This is why the cottage kit industry (where much of the talent lies) has such a hard time producing timely kits of contemporary movie, TV, or video subjects.

Oh well...

Mike

pathfinder505

I love it! I also bought the complete Combat TV series on DVD's so I guess It was due to my upbringing in the 60's.

I don't think you have a legal issue unless you try to sell it.

Hey...wait a minute here...isn't he wearing one of those phoney easy_green helmets?

Just kidding of course :D

You have done really nice work here. It is a great likeness of the late Vic Morrow.

Combatsculp

Hello All,

If I have a call from the any lawyers (whoever they could be) I'll just change the title of the sculpture. It is my creation (albeit representational) so I own the copyright of my inspiration and creation.

I am selling the sculptures in limited edition so it isn't as if I were mass producing the sculpture. The latter would certainly need to go through legal methods.

As to the whole squad. The idea has danced around my head for the past couple years. I think it would be very impressive.

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments about the sculpture!

White Rook-Out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello All,

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments about the sculpture! I recently exhibited the Sgt. Saunders sculpture in a couple art exhibitions in the Northeast. I was happy a lot of viewers knew who he was without any input from me. I also added a sling for the Tommy.

I meant to say in my last post. If you know of any Veterans groups who might be interested in having a memorial or monument created (of any timeline) please have them contact me (at the website below). I can either enlarge the version of the Sarge or create something new. I do the research to make it accurate.

sgt.saundersa.jpg

Thanks,

Mike K.

http://www.keropiansculpture.com

• 2 years later...
Corsair pilot
Hello,

I recently added a body to a small bust I created of the Sarge from the 60's tv show COMBAT!

The figure is 30" tall and I am making them available in bonded bronze and bronze (hot cast).

I enjoyed working on this figure not only because I admired Morrow's portrayal of Saunders as a kid. I love working on historical regalia and all that goes with it. I'm still working on the Thompson sling.

Hopefully the sculpture can be used as a model for a larger figure or just be a sample of what I could accomplish for Veteran's groups interested in future memorials.

More images are on my site:

http://www.keropiansculpture.com/sgtsaunders.html

sgtsaundersa.jpg

I'm very impressed. You do an amazing job. Combat was a great show.

ken