WW2 OSS Uniform with Jedburgh wing

Greetings,

I am being offered this uniform from a very reputable gentlemen. However, I haven't had any experience with Jeds wings that have Bullion in them. So I would appreciate a few comments from the forum before I spend my per diem on this. Thanks, David

post-505-0-88225600-1420547322.jpg

post-505-0-26123600-1420547334.jpg

post-505-0-11410600-1420547345.jpg

post-505-0-08269500-1420547354.jpg

The patches, including the SF wings and Allied Airborne patch seem to be "replaced" and not original to this jacket. Stitching/sewing doesn't make sense for the era. What is the serial number of the jacket? The soldier would write or stamp his service number or name on the jacket just below the collar or on the manufacturer tag. That would help you authenticate ownership. The rank is USN/Marine Corps type. Indicatively that narrows down the person of that rank in the OSS on the European side. I can name one Marine! So, I'd research this more. You can email John Partin at US Army Special Operations Command Historian or you can query the fellas at the OSS Society reached here: http://www.osssociety.org/

Thanks for the comments. If he was a Marine attached to the OSS would he be authorized a CIB or combat stripes? That seems very Army.

Can't comment on the wings, but is that a USN/USMC O-3 bar? Thanks, Al.

If you look closely, you can see the edges of the bars are beveled. Not the flat edge of USMC/USN bars. I would say they're English-made (a reverse shot is needed to determine that).

usmc-collector

The uniform is Army, not Marines. Captain rank insignia is also army type, even it has overall similar shape to navy type, the main diffrence is that the army bars have "coffin" shape, marine one would be flat, see picture. JAROSLAV

post-31-0-50902600-1420554201.jpg

The uniform is Army, not Marines. Captain rank insignia is also army type, even it has overall similar shape to navy type, the main diffrence is that the army bars have "coffin" shape, marine one would be flat, see picture. JAROSLAV

attachicon.gifcapt-01.jpg

I agree. I overlooked the beveling, focusing on the connecting bars. In fact, I have a couple of that style in my collection. Good catch. Thanks, Al.

Just my opinion but as was stated above everything looks put together on this tunic .If this tunic is not named I would pass on it.If it is named Les Hughes of insigne.org could tell you if the guy was in the OSS or not.Without being able to see the back of that wing its an expensive crap shoot.Scotty

Other than the SF wing, the first thing I noticed was the patch type Airborne Cmd DUI's. Whenever I see a WW2 uniform without provenance that has US-made patch type DUI's on it, a red flag always goes up for me. I go right into "guilty until proven innocent" mode. Most of these patch type DUI's are easy to find and usually rather inexpensive. Put-together artists love using them. I realize patch type DUI's were worn in WW2 (and have seen numerous period photos of same), but the % of put-togethers with patch type DUI's I've seen is far higher than the % of original uniforms with patch type DUI's I've seen. My rule of thumb only applies to US-made patch type DUI's. I don't get suspicious over the theater-made patch types (in fact, those would usually make me more confident of originality).

I'm not suggesting these DUI's make the uniform a fake; they just raise my level of suspicion about this uniform (especially having that bullion SF wing on there).

Just my opinion.....