109th Photo Recon Squadron"THE LOOKERS"

doyler

Purchased a large photographic album for the 109th and in it this insignia was described as an unofficial unit emblem seen on buildings and walls within the unit then adopted at the unofficial squadron emblem.Not sure a patch was produced as there isnt reffferance to.Trying to look at photos opf the P51s in the book and think this was painted on the sides but hard to see a clear picture.

post-342-0-35737500-1420437625.jpg

post-342-0-33226900-1420437613.jpg

109th was the unit formed from the Minnesota Air Guard unit. They flew recce Mustangs in WW2 and Mustangs postwar well into the 50s. Back as a kid I found a photo of a Mustang pilot in a drawer at my Grandparents. Thought for a while there was a Mustang pilot in the family. Took me years to figure it out but when my son and I volunteered at the Minnesota Air Guard Museum I discovered the very helmet he was wearing in the picture. Wasn't a relative but a guy who grew up in small town South Dakota near my Grandparents home. So if you come across anything in there on Roy Johnnis, give a yell will ya? :)

That units history goes back to the first Air Guard unit in the country recognized on a federal level which was the Minnesota Air Guard 109th Observation Squadron.

My Dad took me to an air show back in the late 60s early 70s where there was a restored biplane from the 109th. Sadly it crashed and burned that day, a memory that stands strong. The Air Guard unit had restored it to flight. One of the two on board was killed.

Thanks for the info.I purchased this in the Minneapolis area.There is a section on pilots and enlisted men as well.Photos are all named and often with home town.Saw one pilot from Minneapolis.

Any idea on how uncommon/common the album is?

Wish I could say. Might want to check with the Air Guard Museum. It's been a while since I volunteered there. If you see mention of a pilot from Milbank, South Dakota, that's Roy Johnnis.

Listed in the album is the award of the Distinguished Unit Citation for the period of time from 15 February to 20 March for the most extensive photographic operations undertaken over enemy territory. Citing the flying at the vulnerable height of 3500 feet for 20 mile durations over heavily defended coastal instalations foregoing evasive action to fly a straight pattern inspite of predicted constant fire from the batteries and anti aircraft installations.The citation states 83 missions flown by the squadrons under the 6674th Tactical Reconnaissance Group.

The album is full of photo collages of these missions to France (Normandy, St.Lo etc) Western Germany and other locations.

Wish I could say. Might want to check with the Air Guard Museum. It's been a while since I volunteered there. If you see mention of a pilot from Milbank, South Dakota, that's Roy Johnnis.

Looking through the listed photos of the pilots not seeing Roy Jonnis.

Very neat item Ron. I've seen similar style "Official Unit Albums" done for other squadrons on ebay over the years. I think they were also ETO recon squadrons. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

JD

Johnny Signor

Man I just Hate it when they put an emblem in a history book and then don't have it colorized or at least a description of the colors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Charlie Brown would say AAaaaaaauuuuuuuuuggghhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WorldWarPatches

I have it in 2 books as an arrowhead, 1942 Air Heraldry by carl Mann and WW II Combat Squadrons by the USAF Historical Division

post-119983-0-60867000-1420642458.jpg

post-119983-0-42241500-1420642471.jpg

This 'Approved' emblem also appeared in the Dec 1944 edition of The National Geographic (pp. 169),

but many AAF units adopted 'unofficial' alternate insignia during WWII.

post-6249-0-75692600-1420643630.jpg

• 2 months later...
Colonel Leghorn

I am searching for photos and information about
Captain Franklin B. Tostevin
109th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron

67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group
KIA 20. March 1945 Eigen/ Much - Germany

Funeral 13. Dez. 2013 Fort Logan Denver Colorado USA

Can you help in in this respect.

Best regards

Thomas Anschütz

Colonel Leghorn

Purchased a large photographic album for the 109th and in it this insignia was described as an unofficial unit emblem seen on buildings and walls within the unit then adopted at the unofficial squadron emblem.Not sure a patch was produced as there isnt reffferance to.Trying to look at photos opf the P51s in the book and think this was painted on the sides but hard to see a clear picture.

attachicon.gif2015_0104milstuff329130003.JPG

attachicon.gif2015_0104milstuff329130005.JPG

Colonel Leghorn

attachicon.gif2015_0104milstuff329130003.JPG

attachicon.gif2015_0104milstuff329130005.JPG

I am searching for photos and information about

CO Captain Franklin B. Tostevin

109th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron

67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group

KIA 20. March 1945 Eigen/ Much - Germany

Can you help in in this respect ?

• 4 weeks later...

My father, Lt. Sherman F. Childers, flew with the 109th in the ETO. I also have the squadron scrapbook plus all of his personal military records from that period including missions flown (76), bases flown from and photo targets including fighting in the Battle of the Bulge where he earned his DFC.

I have photo's of him and his P-51 "Oh Johnie" along with the squadron patch but cannot upload them. The patch has the very distinctive arrow head.

Sherm

Colonel Leghorn

Dear Sherm,

thank you very much for your message !

Your father , Lt. Sherman F. Childers and Captain Franklin B. Tostevin flew together in the same squadron.

Please could you look for information and pictures about Franklin and his missions in the 109th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron,

67th Tactical Reconnaissance Group.

If you search via internet you will find a lot information about Captain Tostevin.

Herzliche Grüße aus Much Germany

Thomas

Thomas Anschütz

Colonel M.D.

German Air Force Reserve

Birkenweg 6

53804 Much

Germany

• 3 months later...
Stearman_325

Hi Sherm,

I've been searching for information about the 109th TRS and came across your post. I have a friend named Dick Button who flew 78 missions with the 109th. I recently scanned his entire photo album and his log book. I also have a card that lists the combat time of each pilot dated 10 May, 1945. After reading your post I looked at that card and sure enough Childers is listed in B Flight. I recently put together an A2 jacket for Dick with a name tag, 1st Lt rank, Army Air Forces shoulder transfer and a really nice leather 9th AirForce patch. That's how I came to find your post. I was trying to figure out what their squadron patch looked like.

Anyway, is your father still alive? Dick will be 93 next month and is moving pretty slow. We're planning a trip to the United States Air Force Museum in Dayton with him in the next few weeks. I would love to hear about your father and share photos with you. I'll post some here once I figure out how to do it.

Hope to hear back from you. Dick and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Kevin

post-159821-0-19042500-1439564614.jpg

post-159821-0-22319400-1439564122.jpg

Stearman_325

Thanks

Will post a few more pictures later.

I would love to see some more pictures from this album if you're still willing to share them.

I will post more pictures from Dick's album soon. They're on a CD at my house.

Thanks!!

Kevin

Here's one more that I have on my computer here at work. This was when Dick was still flying a "B" Model Mustang.

post-159821-0-42223000-1439573768.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see some more pictures from this album if you're still willing to share them.

I will post more pictures from Dick's album soon. They're on a CD at my house.

Thanks!!

Kevin

Here's one more that I have on my computer here at work. This was when Dick was still flying a "B" Model Mustang.

attachicon.gifB_Model.jpg

THose are great photos

I no longer have the album.Another forum member who collects 9th AF made me a trade on the album.

• 11 months later...
crawfordcecil

My dad served with this unit from 1942 to 1945. His name is Corporal Cecil M. Crawford. Would love to know more of the unit and share info I have with all interested in this unit.