6 replies to this topic

#1 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

I've heard of First Aid pouches modified to carry something different but this one, caught on ebay Italy, is quite an oddity. They unstitched a side and did a cut on the bottom adding a reinforcement to carry a hatchet.

portax.jpg

#2 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:27 AM

The question you have to ask is was the modification done while in military service or years later by a civilian making do with a surplus item.

Here's a good example of a do it yourself modification. It started out as a USMC pistol magazine pocket marked "R M CO 1941". It was rigged into a single large pocket instead of two tubes to carry .45 pistol magazines. It baffled me for months until Carter Rila aka "webcat" suggested it might be an adaption to carry the lensatic compass. And guess what? the compass fits perfectly. Be typical of the frugal Marines to do this since they were always at the bottom of the supply chain.

MVC_060S.JPG
MVC_059S.JPG
MVC_058S.JPG

#3 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:37 AM

The original hand ax covers were reinforced along the edge where the blade is. It will cut through the edge of that FA pouch fairly quickly as it is bumped and moves about in the pouch. Since the pouch isn't contured to the shape of the blade it allows more movement than normal too. If a GI shop did the modification I think they would have also reinforced the left edge as well.

#4 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

When I saw this thread I got a giggle. When I was a kid I did this same exact thing, went to the surplus store and bought a FA pouch and cut it to fit my hand axe. I did not put any reinforcment on it though.

#5 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

There's an entire barrel of these at my local surplus store....are they worth much?

Rob

#6 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,226
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

Rob: If the ones at the surplus store are all identical to this one, they are worth something. There is no "U.S." stamp on the flap, indicating a Marine Corps item.

#7 Corpl. Cleaver

Corpl. Cleaver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,753
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

Rob is talking about the modded first aid kits, not the .45 ammo pouches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)