Pocket knife (maybe WWII era?)

Giovanni80

Hi Guys,

this knife comes from a stock, found some weeks ago in a old country house on the Gothic Line. During the restoring of it, the new owner found a box under basement with these knives .

So I don't know don't know if it comes from WWII era and if it's from Ilalian army, British, Polish ecc...

What's you opinion?

post-5681-0-35928100-1420291221.jpg

post-5681-0-14218100-1420291254.jpg

-Gio-

It is British. The proper name is Clasp Knife. They were issued to all men of the armed forces, not just sailors. These were acquired by American servicemen. There is a picture in a thread in the Edged Weapons Section of one hanging from the belt of I believe a pilot. This thread should be moved there. It doesn't really fit in with the field gear.

Thanks guys, for the info, should be any stamp or engraving on handle or blade? Because it's realy tarnished because of age, I can't see anything.

About thread, yes was better to post it in tne Edged Weapons Sections, but I can't move it.

-Gio-

So I don't know don't know if it comes from WWII era and if it's from Ilalian army, British, Polish ecc...

What's you opinion?

This is not identical, but very similar to the British para knife so the Polish UK-based Armed Forces (including Polish paras, Navy etc.) could use such knives.

Thanks guys for all the info.

I cheked well and there is not one mark on blades, so according to what I read, I think is not a british claps knife.

I'd like to know what was used for that kind of awl, that now is desappeared on the modern current claps knives.

The awl is actually a Marlin Spike used in rope work and knot work. You still see them on boating knives -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinspike .

Yours is actually an Italian issue model, if you google "Italian Navy Knife", it will show up. Many different countries issued similar knives with only small variations, so they can be a pain to catalog.

Many different countries issued similar knives with only small variations, so they can be a pain to catalog.

Always issued in WWII era or post war?