AEF Service Coat. 2nd Div. 4th MG

Navybean

Hi, I just wanted to share this little group. Group includes 2nd ID 4th Machine Gun Battalion purple patch. Vet served with the161th when he enlisted in Spokane with te Washington State National Guard then was transferred to the 2nd ID while overseas. Vet of wounded by high explosives in the left leg. He transferred to the 2nd ID from the161st in June of 1918 then served with the 2nd ID at the following battles, Chateau Thierry, Then the Marne, followed by Marbache and finally St. Mihiel.

Group includes his wounds certificate noting the 4th MG Battalion, also includes his discharge and enlistment record. The tunic includes his overseas hat, pants, leggings and finally the actual tunic. Tunic has WASH collar brass with one being the standard US.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do thanks Mike

post-45737-0-69393800-1420147686.jpg

post-45737-0-28393600-1420147688.jpg

post-45737-0-69982600-1420147693.jpg

Yes very happy to have found the group, I prefer items with history when you can find them.

Best part is the wound certificate and patch are both backed up by paperwork. I am not sure about post war history but I am assuming he might have stayed in. I know he was part of the 161st which is WA National Guard but not sure why with the 2nd ID 4th MG patch that he would have the WASH collar disk? Vet might have worn the tunic to a re-union and he put it on then?

Yes great patch, l like that the color of the patch is supported by the paperwork. Great piece, is odd that the tunic has WASH brass on it, he did serve with the 161st in WA state but it does not match the patch?

Medal is a VFW badge with name bar. Not really a medal.

Great tunic and grouping! Can you post a close up of the medal?

The 161st evidently was sent overseas and used as replacements for other units. I'd imagine that this vet's platoon may have been assigned en bloc to a 2nd Div company, and retained their NG character, and continued to wear that Washington disc.

Sounds pretty plausible.

The 161st evidently was sent overseas and used as replacements for other units. I'd imagine that this vet's platoon may have been assigned en bloc to a 2nd Div company, and retained their NG character, and continued to wear that Washington disc.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar 2nd Div. uniform group with the Purple Heart as the vet acquired it by later application, and it too was on a shield background patch, but he was in one of the Infantry regts! I wonder if this was a patch background given to wounded 2nd Div.soldiers that stayed with the unit, rather than being evac'd separately with hospital outfits? I also have an officer group to the 23rd Infantry with numbered cross rifles to his original 76th Div. outfit. Research confirmed that the collar brass was entirely right for him. I think you are right on about changes in the collar brass that the vets sometimes made in later reunion years-thus the WASH disc. Still, what a cool uniform group with papers and photos and wound accolade- I love these groups, right from the families, that are a time capsule to one soldier's experiences. It really is all about the stuff and the stories.

David