A Regulation CW US M1860 S&F Off Sword

SARGE

Gents,

Here is an example of the regulation Civil War M1860 Staff & Field Officer sword so that it may be compaired with the later S&F swords. This is one of the some 260 swords purchased from Ames by the US Government and subjected to US inspection during the Civil War. These contract numbers are per Leonard Garigliano, "Abstract, Review and Notes Regarding Principal Sword Contractors During the American Civil War." A very helpful treatus from 1983.

Notice that this sword has the bronzed two ring steel scabbard according to regulations. Scabbards after circa 1872 generally had three suspension rings and the steel scabbard was nickeled not bronzed. Also notice that the plain gilt brass drag is "A.D.K." inspected and assembly part numbered by Ames. The brass hilt is gilt and has a folding rear guard while the pommel is peened. The diamond shaped blade is also "A.D.K." inspected on the obverse ricasso and is etched in the usual Ames manner. This blade has been nickeled but I believe this is an armory refurbishment.

CW S&F sword.jpeg.JPG

CW S&F sword scab rings.jpeg.JPG

CW S&F sword drag insp.jpeg.JPG

CW S&F hilt.jpeg.JPG

CW S&F pommel.jpeg.JPG

Is it possible this was a private purchase item? The slim Hicks book shares the contract letter request wanting black horn grips and that initial contract then canceled during production.

Can you share pictures of the underside of the folding counter guard and button?

Cheers

GC

Is it possible this was a private purchase item? The slim Hicks book shares the contract letter request wanting black horn grips and that initial contract then canceled during production.

Can you share pictures of the underside of the folding counter guard and button?

Cheers

GC

I think these were made by Ames and purchased by the Government as examples for other makers to produce private purchase swords of this type since there were only around 260 of them purchased. I suspect some of them were provided to individuals as well as organizations in much the same manner as the other inspected M1850 Foot Officer and M1850 Staff & Field Officer and M1852 Naval Officer swords were. So, yes I imagine some were simply sold/supplied to requesting Federal General and Staff Officers.

Here is a photo of the reverse folding guard. You will notice that it is plain and unadorned unlike the typical later manufacture with a stand of arms. The button is missing as usual. Actually, I have two of these swords that are identical. I bought them together at a local gun show years ago and the fellow had no idea of the scarcity of what he had so I was happy to buy them as a pair as he said he got them as a pair.

CS S&F hilt back.jpeg.JPG

Thanks byf41. I was very happy to find these two swords. It is always nice to have an inspected pattern sword to see what the period sword is supposed to look like. Of course private manufacturers/dealers were free to deviate from the pattern but even those CW period swords should look close to the official regulation.

• 2 months later...

Gents,

I picked up another 1860 US Staff & Field Officer sword at SOS that is from the US Civil War period that I would like to add to this thread. This French made sword (for the US market) is similar to the regulation example made by Ames discussed in the 1860 S&F sword thread above.

The sword I picked up is made in the pre-1872 style having a black painted steel scabbard with only two suspension rings and relatively plain mounts. While the black paint on the scabbard is quite old I imagine it is probably a later addition but there is no nickel under the paint. The unplated diamond shaped blade is etched with generic designs but is clearly maker marked (engraved) on the blade as being made by Philippe Jules Creuze in Chatellerault. The American dealer marking of Schuyler Hartley & Graham in New York is etched on the other side of the blade showing this sword was made for the US market. The plain folding guard is French marked to the Paris dealer Francois Delacour & Bakes and the obverse guard has the US eagle and shield on the front. The sword remains uncleaned with a heavy patina that I rather like.

1860 S&F French sword.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword hilt scab.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword hilt pommel.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword drag.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword obv ricasso.jpeg.JPG

One thing that is not immediately noticeable from the photos is that the sharkskin grip is not round or oval. It is rectangular shaped with distinct shoulders at each corner in the manner of a fencing foil.

Here are some closeup photos of the markings.

1860 S&F French sword dealer.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword maker.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword guard mark.jpeg.JPG

• 2 months later...