Portraits of War

phillock

Hi all

This is one of the best sites on WWI/WWII of patches and insignia worn. I decided to do this as a separate thread from Patches in Action mainly because of the quality of the site and the images are of portraits.

So enjoy the site and add your comments.

http://portraitsofwar.wordpress.com/

Phill

post-7582-0-54197400-1420009521.jpg

post-7582-0-80689500-1420009547.jpg

Thanks for posting my blog! In fact, the photo of the doughboy was selected by DK publishers to be the cover of the most recent "Definitive Visual History of WWI"

http://www.dk.com/us/9781465434906-world-war-i/

Gidday

I'm glad your on USMF congratulations on a blog well done , I'm hoping more people will follow it and you add more portraits. Its deserving of a topic on its own.

I picked those two because the 30th "Old Hickory" lying flat was for the Infantry and the artillery had it upright pre WWII, the picture of the Lady was to represent the women's effort and who made sacrifices, all too often overlooked.

Phill

This reminds me of the entry way into the National World War I Museum in Kansas City.

Along a curved corridor are a set of video screens that show a series of photos of World War I participants. It is really striking how clear these are and they are almost life sized. And there are so many of them I am not sure I saw any of them repeat. Not to sound cliche, but it really brings the human element to the exhibit. You almost wish these photos could talk and share their story.

aa216.jpg

aa218.jpg

aa219.jpg