French Croix de Guerre awarded to Americans

S1991

I'm not certain if this question has been asked before, if so I sadly enough couldn't find it. For a small display I am making with some medals which were awarded to the soldiers of the 26th Division, I got word from a veteran that he also had the Occupation Medal.

That made me think about the foreign awards. I was aware of the French Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star awarded to the 104th Infantry Regiment during World War I. Some where I also read that the 104th Regiment received a second Croix de Guerre in World War II for actions in Lorraine. This time they were awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm leaf.

Now my question is, was and is this true? Sadly enough I have misplaced that information where I've read it so no luck there. I also couldn't find out if other units of the Division received this award.

Any help is more then welcome!

Thank you in advance.

It is quite likely the unit did receive such an award, but not its individual members. The second award to the unit in WW2 would have resulted in the CdeG fourragiere (sic) which would have been displayed on the unit flag, and the cords would b\have been worn by individual soldiers.

The Occupation Medal was not awarded until just before WW2, so he probably never wore it on his WW1 uniform.

G

The 26th was not part of the Army of Occupation in 1918/1919 - your guy may have enlisted in the Regular Army while in France.

The 104th received the CdG as a unit award in 1918 but that did not entitle the individuals to the "medal" - only the fourragere.

Bill

I should have explained that the display is about WWII medals. Would be hard to find a still living WWI veteran to talk with.

Anyhow, I found a PDF file stating the Division was also awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre. Now I am rather confused..

Looking at it, the entire Division was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre. The 104th Regiment during World War I the French Croix de Guerre. As it was added to the colors of their regimental flag I would also think it has to be a fourragère. But I still can't find out the WWII part on the 104th Regiment as it was cited though..

Any help is appreciated! Will upload a screenshot of that PDF file mentioning the Belgian Croix de Guerre tomorrow.

Having grown up in Western Massachusetts quite a few of my friend's fathers were 104th National Guardsman called up fro WWII - I recall that they had on their uniforms 2 fourregares one was green and red ant the other was solid red - not sure if this helps

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for the information. Do you happen to have any photographs of those uniforms? Would be great to have some photographic evidence.

Silvano

Here we go with the screenshots on the information I've found. Also I saw on Wikipedia (not a perfect source though), that the 104th Infantry Regiment indeed was awarded twice with the Croix de Guerre. But still I can't figure out what I would need.. Either the medals or the fourragères?
Also the 104th Regiment had two individual soldiers who were awarded the French Croix de Guerre according to its Unit History. Now I have a Class A Jacket in my collection which belonged to a soldier of Company B, 104th Infantry Regiment. Is there a way to find out if he was one of them? Or was he confused with the wear of a fourragère for instance?
Sadly enough the jacket isn't named or with a laundry mark...

Any help is appreciated!

Part 1:

post-4316-0-28199500-1419857128.jpg

I am pretty sure that these Unit awards rate the fourregares and individuals could be awarded the CDG medals for specific actions. I have a few groups in which the individual was cited and awarded for an individual action and he was awarded a CDG with guilt star along with the CDG certificate.

Rocco,

Thanks for the information, it does sound legit.. Guess I should be looking for a Belgian fourragère and French then.
I have never seen those being worn though on jackets..