Father (WWII - 101st AB) & Son (VN - USAF) Grouping

MasonK

Stunning and jaw dropping..

Incredible pictures and documents

Leigh

Thanks, Leigh. These were my thoughts when I first saw it. I'm truly humbled...

Mason, that's an absolutely killer and historic grouping. You've definitely have been blessed to have been the new caretaker!

Thanks! Hopefully I can give it the respect it deserves!

Charles' son, Walter, served during Vietnam in the USAF. Unfortunately, this is a research project in progress. In addition, the individuals I purchased the grouping from are still in the process of clearing out the estate so there may be more to come.

Photos included with the group appear to be in country. Some of the insignia appears to be theatre made as well. Anyone want to help ID some of it?

post-29885-0-83571800-1419634221.jpg

post-29885-0-31991800-1419634215.jpg

post-29885-0-18965000-1419634236.jpg

The COOL factor on this Father & Son grouping is through the roof Eric!!!! I look forward to the updates as they come.

Thank you for sharing.

John

carbinephalen

This one should be pinned! By far one of the most historical and complete groupings I have ever seen. :o Him being in intel makes it that much cooler in my eyes!

Thanks all! I really appreciate everyone's response.

1st Cav, you're right regarding the WWII Vic. Guess he never added it. Also, the ribbons that are present are out of order, but I have no intention of changing them.

gliderrider401

I sit here in a puddle of slobber.... wow. Historic Grouping!! Well done. Thank heavens it wasn't bused up and sold on Ebay (Frick and Dye items ...)

Riley

Kurt Barickman

Hey, thanks for posting. I LOVE THAT BRITISH 101st patch on the jump jacket; very cool. I don't ever think I have seen a British Eagle Patch on anything other than on a dress uniform.

Kurt

Just adding to the praise, great grouping thanks for the photos.

Kurt, I thought the jump jacket patch looked a little different but not being a total expert I couldn't ID it initially - thanks for the observation. I agree, I think its very cool to see on a jump jacket.

I note no award of the CIB in his record nor do I see one on the photo where he is wearing the jacket with, I presume, his wife? Any idea or indication that he was awarded the CIB later, post war, or anything?

Also, interesting, at least to me, that his discharge record was signed by a WAC Lt.!

Again, great grouping - thanks for sharing.

Best,

Bill K.

Good grief, this is truly in a league of its own. Congratulations on acquiring it, must feel about like winning the lottery to a militaria collector!

I note no award of the CIB in his record nor do I see one on the photo where he is wearing the jacket with, I presume, his wife? Any idea or indication that he was awarded the CIB later, post war, or anything?

Bill, if you look under the row of ribbons on the photo in post #16 (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/227870-father-wwii-101st-ab-son-vn-usaf-grouping/&do=findComment&comment=1808346), you can see the left side of the CIB poking out from under her arm. I wonder if it was some kind retroactive award, or if somehow his paperwork noting the CIB just got lost in the shuffle while he was being discharged.

It is interesting that he doesn't wear one in the solo portrait, although one can clearly see jump wings and ribbons for the American Defense and EAME medals, so it must've been a wartime photo from before he was awarded his CIB.

Boy, this group sure doesn't disappoint. Go buy a lotto ticket before all the luck wears off!

jguy -

I don't think that is the CIB, I think what you see sticking out there are the jump wings. WWII style was to wear the CIB below the jump wings - No way he wouldn't be wearing jump wings so the CIB should be at the upper part of the pocket flap as it is displayed in the first photograph of the Ike jacket in this thread.

Also note that it looks like he has two rows of ribbons in the photo with the woman (assuming his wife) - The top row looks to have the GC first then another ribbon and then the woman's shoulder obscures what else might be there. Then looks to be at least one ribbon below the GC. Not unusual that he may have messed with the ribbons over the years or this might be another jacket from what he was pictured in.

Bill K.