1911A1 Takedown tool

Rifleman

Looking for some information on the L tool for the 1911A1.I have two,one Stanley and one Metlglas with the part numbers on them.I remember seeing one marked National C64149(National Hardware ?) but didn't buy it.Now I regret that I didn't buy it.I recently saw one marked National USA without the part number.How many companies made these for the military?

Colt shipped them with their 1911s originally and then Stanley made them during WWI. During WWII, Stanley, Metglas and National Needle made them. After WWII they would have only the part number or no markings. Sounds like the one you passed on would have been the one needed to complete a WWII screwdriver set.

Hello Rifleman,

the developement of the Colt stripping tool is not so easy to follow and is fascinating indeed. I will try to trace it with the help of the "big" Clawson book and from specimens of my collection. Here we go...

Pre WWI and WWI:

Colt, very first model (very very rare) hand modified from early and not accepted double screwdriver design. Narrow blade was cut and crudely remilled to form a punch. 7/32 inch narrow blade, blu-violet colour with fire blackened punch.

Colt, first pattern , 7/32 inch narrow blade, blued, blue-violet colour.

Colt, second pattern , 1/4 inch wide blade, blued, blue, violet, grey colour, manufacture ended through 1915.

Stanley, blued , blue-violet colour, made by 1916 through 1918 by Stanley Rule & Level Company (Stanley Works), New Britain, Connecticut.

Stanley, hand filed punch, blued, blue, violet colour.

Stanley, case hardened colour. A few were made with this finish.

Stanley, Special Screwdriver , two blades, small and large, and punch, case hardened colour. Made by 1918 (contract awarded for 170.000 pieces) and then changed again at an unreported time (WWII?) to the first type with one blade and punch.

It is quite difficult to tell the standard Colt or Stanley made tools: question of thickness (more "fat" the Stanley ones) and of the internal angle of the L (wider on the Stanley ones).

In the WWII only Stanley, Metlglas and National Needle Company manufactured these tools. All parkerized, all with part number. Yes, if you look at the opposite face of a National you will see this tiny, almost invisible number...

No more stripping tools were made after the WWII. Tons in the stocks, a lot repacked by R.I.A. in the early 50s. As for the the Stanley Special Screwdriver I incline to think that they were destroyed as very few ramain today, while we a have a lot of WWI and WWII specimens...

Hope this can help...

Fausto

post-8381-0-50947700-1419490038.jpg

post-8381-0-60093600-1419490053.jpg

post-8381-0-14656900-1419490071.jpg

post-8381-0-87289000-1419490102.jpg

post-8381-0-31783400-1419490127.jpg

In the first picture a selection from my collection. Interesting the Stanley Special Screwdriver on the right which, due to a failure of the cutter's strike, remained unfinished, with rounded blades. On the left, high, some .45 revolver tools. The very first L tool released by Colt with the 1911 pistol was like these ones and was rejected in favour of the punch-blade pattern.

In the second picture some WWI Colt and one Stanley tool, which is the third on the left row. Then a Stanley Special Screwdriver, two National and again one National in its sealed wrapping...

Merry Christmas to you all !

Fausto

Thanks to both of you.Fausto that is one awesome collection you have.Thanks for posting them.The reason I posted this question was that I saw a National for sale on Gunbroker and wanted to make sure it was OK.I bought it and sent away for it today.These must be scarcer than the Stanley and Metlglas.Ive seen many of them but now only three(more counting yours) of the National tools.Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Raising this from the dead,   Anyone know where the manufacturers Metlglas and National Needle were located during the war?  I know Stanley was/is in New Britain, CT.  Were these other 2 companies located in CT as well or other states?

Awww man! It always happens! I have 4 or 5 of these things but never knew much about them until I just saw this. And now, of course, I can't find any of them!

Mikie

The interesting thing about the 1911 is that no tool is needed to disassemble it. Remove the slide, cock hammer, engage safety and pull it out, Lower hammer, push out hammer pin, take hammer and strut and drove out main spring housing with end of strut, slide out main spring housing. Now remove sear/safety/disconnector leaf spring. Use the sear spring 90 degree nub to remove the magazine release button pin, spring and button.(remember that the mag release pin is not a screw and is a pin with an ear that rides in a slot.). Now remove sear pin and drop out the sear and disconnector. The trigger can be pushed out the rear. To remove the grips,use the rim of a .45ACP cartridge. Now your frame is stripped down for cleaning, inspection or repair. Only applies to original unmodified military 1911's. The tool is by far a lot handier.