101st ABN BDU 1983 with Recondo patch question

Jozar1972

Hello to ypu all,

I aquired a 101st Airborne BDU form 1983, with the original badges minus the name tab and rank collarbadges. I am very happy with it since I learned that the Arrow shaped badge at the left breast pocket is a "Recondo" patch. I will place pictures as soon as I figure out how to upload pictures on this forum.

My question: The original collar rank tabs are missing unfortunately. What would be the minimum rank for somebody who attended the Recondo course, a Corporal, or a Sergeant ?

Many thanks in advance and happy X Mas !

Cheers, Johan

Pfc (E-3), or SP4 (E-4, but see no reason that lower ranks could not attend. But, it would depend on unit, or school policy at the time. SKIP

• 1 month later...

As an aside, that recondo arrowhead was only authorized for wear while a active member of the 101st Airborne Dvn. We had a guy in our platoon who had earned it while in 101 but never wanted to remove it. We had a hard rump 1sg who knew of that reg and was on this guys rump all the time

• 1 month later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

18th Corps Recondo had limited slots for the entire 18th Abn Corps so only the most likely to graduate were sent to attend. Infantry types had more success due to the nature of the course but graduation rates were quite low even for them.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Westmoreland knew that Ranger School slots were NCO and Officer's courses that were highly sought after and he wanted his junior soldiers to have a chance to have a chance at Ranger style training and something for them to aspire to so he started the 101st Recondo School in 1958-59. The school was a hit and was open for junior EM's to attend. It allowed them the opportunity to better their skills, learn to lead and have an adornment for their uniform them set them apart from the other EM's.

The cadre from the original school were tasked, in part, to travel around CONUS to assist other Division Commanders in establishing their own Recondo Schools, which is why you see the 9th Division Recondo and so on. The 82nd Airborne, being very competitive with the 101st Airborne decided to call their school the "Raider" school, which made my friend (may he RIP) CSM Stevens scoff at me and the 82nd Airborne.

When Westmoreland went to Vietnam he tasked the 5th SF to begin a similar program and so the MACV Recondo School was formed and was unique among all of the Recondo Schools since the final graded patrol was an actual combat patrol within enemy territory. Not only was this school physically demanding, beyond most schools, but the graduation rate for all of the services (Yes USMC, AF, Army and Navy, as well as Foreign Militaries), was quite low compared to the amount of guys that started. Graduation was the goal but the SF Cadre explained that the information you gained, whether you graduated or not, was valuable to mission accomplishment once a soldier returned to his unit.There were guys that were the tip of the spear and some that had Ranger Tabs, that failed the MACV Recondo School.

The Post Vietnam Era saw all of the schools disbanded except the 82nd Raider School, which morphed in the 18th AB Corps Recondo Course. By all standards it was not all that easy considering that the starting numbers were over 100 and the graduation rates usually around 30-40.

Rock