• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,224
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

RC,  Thank you for this information, it is very much appreciated.  We do still have the certificate with the Pershing signature, so my guess is that he never submitted for the meritorious service purple heart (he was not wounded).

Thanks again, D. McNeill

I do not think that the individual had to give up any document to receive any award for Meritorious or Valor. They may have had to send in the document which would have been returned to them. More often than not they had a local American Legion, VFW or other veteran organization certify that the official had seen the original document for the appropriate award to be made. I know that many veterans mailed in their Discharge Document and received their Victory Medal with the appropriate number and type clasps. 

#27 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

I note, from a previous post, that around 748,000 WW1 Victory medals were awarded for Stateside service.

Does this mean that ANY man enlisted and mobilised for service in the Army or Navy at this time was therefore entitled to a medal? Can anybody tell me exactly what the award criteria was for these men?

I am currently researching one Edward A Cordts who served 1898-1919 with (chronogically) 203rd NY Vols, 7th US Cavalry and 12th Cavalry; he qualified/was awarded the Spanish War Service, Cuban Occupation and Mexican Border Service medals. I post his WW1 service card below, and am trying to establish if he also qualified for a WW1 Victory medal too? Can anyone advise?

There must be many medal groups out there to men of this period, who also were entitled to a Victory too....

Any man or women, enlisted, officer, nurse, would have been authorized the VM if they had documentation to support their service.

The tricky part is determining what clasp or clasps were authorized, which clasps they were authorized. I have seen service members who were awarded clasps for battles they could not have been in due to their being in the hospital being treated for wounds or gas exposure during the time a specific campaign and most often seen men who were back from the hospital in other units but not at the front, in the rear with the gear in a support activity, not receive a clasp even though they were on the roles at the Division level.

#28 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

I note, from a previous post, that around 748,000 WW1 Victory medals were awarded for Stateside service.

Does this mean that ANY man enlisted and mobilised for service in the Army or Navy at this time was therefore entitled to a medal? Can anybody tell me exactly what the award criteria was for these men?

I am currently researching one Edward A Cordts who served 1898-1919 with (chronogically) 203rd NY Vols, 7th US Cavalry and 12th Cavalry; he qualified/was awarded the Spanish War Service, Cuban Occupation and Mexican Border Service medals. I post his WW1 service card below, and am trying to establish if he also qualified for a WW1 Victory medal too? Can anyone advise?

There must be many medal groups out there to men of this period, who also were entitled to a Victory too....

Any man or women, enlisted, officer, nurse, would have been authorized the VM if they had documentation to support their service.

The tricky part is determining what clasp or clasps were authorized, which clasps they were authorized. I have seen service members who were awarded clasps for battles they could not have been in due to their being in the hospital being treated for wounds or gas exposure during the time a specific campaign and most often seen men who were back from the hospital in other units but not at the front, in the rear with the gear in a support activity, not receive a clasp even though they were on the roles at the Division level.

#29 WS60

WS60
  • Members
    • Member ID: 828
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

my question is about this Saint Mihiel devise, as usually it coming as St.Mihiel

Attached Images

• post-5567-0-51847700-1474908342_thumb.jpg

#30 WS60

WS60
  • Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

Attached Images

• post-5567-0-62078400-1474908352_thumb.jpg

#31 WS60

WS60
  • Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

no one knows about ? 

#32 Hermanus

Hermanus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,867
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

French made bar pre WW2 I guess.

#33 Johnnymac

Johnnymac
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,923
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:50 AM

Yes it is a French made unofficial "battle" clasp (Saint Mihiel) adding it would never have been issued together with a service clasp (France). The French type of clasps were available at veterans and military shows over the years. I believe this owner wanted to display the area he served near, as his clasp, FRANCE might have been just to general for him. - See my book, WORLD WAR I, Victory Medals  still being sold on Amazon.com (over 700 copies sold).

#34 Johnnymac

Johnnymac
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,923
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:05 AM

Reply to  Roystone

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

From my book. 

Box Type-1 Victory Medal Assembled, Without Clasp - The box on the top in Illustration No. 5 came with a fully assembled medal with no clasp as shown. This medal was awarded to all who served in the United States Army, along with a small number of civilians working for the government between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918.

Edited by Johnnymac, 25 November 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#35 Tbell

Tbell
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 164,304
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

I just ordered your book, cant wait for it to arrive.

Thank you

Semper Fi

Tom

#36 joeddelozier

joeddelozier
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 167,954
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

Do you know if members of the Advanced Section of the S.O.S. qualified for the Defensive Sector clasp bar? I read somewhere the all members of the 1st Army and those serving in the A.E.F.'s "defensive regions" automatically qualified for the Defensive Sector, but I can't verify or pin down what that entails.

One of my ancestors was most likely at Liffol-le-Grand with the Advanced Section of the S.O.S. during the Lorraine campaigns.

#37 texman1985

texman1985
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 175,209
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:35 AM

Hello If interested in my book try this site.

On this site you can preview some pages from the book and you will find 8 reviews.

http://www.amazon.co... victory medals

I have bought your book, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for writing an amazing reference book. I have utilized it many times and it has paid off.

#38 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

First of all Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Years to all members of this forum.

One of the questions that have often come up on this thread is how the veteran applied for the Victory Medal (VM),and Clasps based on his service. The short answer is that he presented documentation to a local authority to apply for it. Going through the Ancestry.com Pennsylvania World War Veterans Compensation Claims I have found numerous request for VM and the appropriate claps that the veteran was authorized. Besides the Compensation request most veterans had an AGO card just like  the ones seen in the New York archives found on Ancestry for WWI Veterans. 

Attached, is World War One Mario Acerro of Bethlehem Pa request for a Victory Medal. He has served with Co H 327 Inf 82nd Div during WWI; the card indicates that he applied for his medal at the Scranton Pennsylvania Recruiting Station. The station representative filled out the card with an X in the boxes next to the VM clasps on the left side of the document for the official combat clasps, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne his medal is authorized to have attached to the suspension ribbon. Below the combat clasps, typed in are locations and dates for which he was authorized to have a Defensive Sector Clasp (Toul 27/6-8/9, 1918) on the medal's suspension ribbon. On the right side of the request is the clasps issued and the authorization number that was filled out by the Depot granting the VM with Clasps.
A copy of this
I hope this fills in some of the questions out there.

Attached Images

• Mario Acerro Co H 327 Inf 82nd Div WWI VM Card copy.jpg

#39 268th C.A.

268th C.A.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 87,654
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

Here is my WW1 Victory Medal question. I am putting together a shadow box for My brother in laws father, He severed on BB20 USS Vermont, 1917-1919 she was basically a training ship  until just at was end, She stayed in Norfolk for training seamen. In November 1918 she was transformed to a transport for returning  personal of the AEF. There was one brief visit to S. America to return the body of a dignitary. Where he crossed the equator. So he made 4 trips to France and back. Would his victory medal be a plain medal, Transport clasp or Atlantic fleet clasp ?? Anybody got a clue? Lost on what too do. I guess any would do. His papers have nothing there. Thanks and Regards, David  

#40 Hermanus

Hermanus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,867
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

Plain Victory medal I guess. If the trips on the US Vermont to France and back were before November 11th, 1918 he was eligible to the clasps.

Regards
Herman

#41 268th C.A.

268th C.A.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 87,654
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

Thanks! Regards.

#42 Stretchman89

Stretchman89
  • Members
    • Member ID: 192,560
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

Some great information posted on here about the victory medal. I am still learning, so thanks for all of the info shared.

#43 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

In going through some of my grandfathers old service related paperwork, I came across this document that explains the method of receiving a Victory Medal near the little town in lived near in 1920. I thought some may find this interesting.

Kim

Attached Images

• resized_HGA Victory Medal Notice-jpg.jpg

#44 Kansas Raider

Kansas Raider
  • Members
    • Member ID: 154,231
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

What clasps were on the WW1 victory medal for the 110th Engineers-- 35th Division? Thanks Steve

#45 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

The short answer is three clasps, the St Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Defensive Sector clasps, are authorized for the 35th Division AEF.

#46 gunnertwo

gunnertwo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,930
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

Would there be enough interest for a reprint of the book? Looking at Amazon- $132 makes me think there would be interest at this time. Thanks.

G2 

#47 gunnertwo

gunnertwo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,930
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:49 PM

The 2016 reprint is available through Amazon.com, just placed my order.

G2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users