Need help dating and critque of this USN sword

kquest

Hi.

I recently came accross this Mobel 1856 USN sword. It looks to me to have several issues. First the grip is all wrong. It almost seems painted with the wrong wire wrap.The grip also seems hard to the touch. It seems that the blade and brass parts where" washed" with black paint to highlight the details. . It seems to have nice etching and is named to " R Y Matthews". It is marked Jacob Reed's Sons. Swords are not what I normally collect. I collect WWII U.S. gear. I would appreciate any opinions about the sword as well as opinions on an era. I am hoping that this is not a "put together sword. Would it be worth tryin to clean the sword and redo the grip?post-13704-0-91329100-1419123740.jpg

I am new to the forum so I am not quite sure how to upload several pictures

According to Bezdek's AMERICAN SWORDS AND MAKERS Jacob Reed's Sons were in business from 1877-1880 and sold M-1860 Staff &Field officer swords, M-1875 USMC officer swords and M-1872 Lt. Artillery officer swords. Maybe distributors, really don't know what else. Don't poo poo it because it's different, may have been made that way or special ordered.

I'd love to see more pictures of the sword.

i have become more and more disappointed with Bezdek's entries, as even simple searches often yield a great deal more. The truth is that a lot more information is more widely available on the net. The company ran from 1824 to 1983.

http://philadelphiastudies.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/jacob-reeds-sons-haberdasher-to-preppy-philadelphia/

Cheers

GC

Thanks for the quick response. I have been trying to do a closer exam under the magnifing glass. I would like to remove the pommel cap, but it does not seem to unscrew and there doesn't appear to be any seams around the cap. Under the glass there seems to be paint over a smooth white material underneath. I'll try to post some additional photos. I also wanted to ask how you research the name engraved on the blade.

Thank you

post-13704-0-08439800-1419126409.jpg

The one I show is from Heritage Auctions, which said:

"... a circa 1890 US M1852 Naval Officer's sword by Jacob Reed's Sons, Philadelphia. Very fine condition, the blade deeply etched with classic naval motifs including, American shield, USN, eagle on cannon etc. A panel on the obverse of the blade is etched with the owner's name, "Egbert C. Mackenzie". Blade very fine, smooth and gray, with some touches of luster and no nicks. Nicely cast regulation style brass hilt retains most of the original gilt. White sharkskin grip with twisted brass wire wrap perfect."

jacobssword3.jpg

jacobssword2.jpg

Thanks for the additional info.. The sword I have is engraved to R. Y. Matthews. (not sure about the middle initial, it's printed in old english style letters) I have attached a photo of the name. I would like to research the name to learn something about the recipient of the sword, but I don't know how to go about it. I do not have access to any of the genealogy websites.post-13704-0-03647200-1419135100.jpg

Bob, Thanks for the photos and info. on this post. The major difference is the grip. I don't believe there is a sharkskin grip and no gold colored wrap.. The grip looks like it painted black, with a smooth white material underneath. The wire appears to be sliver. Also there doesn't seem to be anyway to remove the pommel cap. It almost seems to be one peice. I not sure how the gard is attached to the pommel. Prehaps pinned somehow. Puzzled!

I also want to thank Horseclover for the link. I read the article and found it very interesting. Sorry about a couple of misspellings on post #10. A slip of the keypad.