M3

Gilles

IF the number on the back of the scabbard is the man's Serial Number, it was Lawrence O. Leva of Salt Lake, Utah born 1922. Keep in mind that the scabbard may not be original to the knife, and the number may be a fake. Without further documentation, this can only be listed as POSSIBLE, not certain.

IF the number on the back of the scabbard is the man's Serial Number, it was Lawrence O. Leva of Salt Lake, Utah born 1922. Keep in mind that the scabbard may not be original to the knife, and the number may be a fake. Without further documentation, this can only be listed as POSSIBLE, not certain.

Hello,

I can read LEVA on the pommel

dscn1819.jpg

Gilles

You are welcome Gilles. You can also find that he joined the army in 1942. It is nice that you can connect the knife to an actual person. I never realized that army airforce mechanics were issued M3 knives, but it does explain its condition.

Yes, I was aware that airforce personnel were issued M3 knives. I assume it must have been typical army bureaucracy to issue an M3 knife to a mechanic in England. The knife appears to me as ideally suited to kill Germans or Japanese in close combat, or in a bar fight, but as a utility knife to open boxes I would prefer a different model. I am not questioning the authenticity of the markings though. The knife has probably spent the war in a locker.

Bonne annee et bonne sante!

He may or may not have been issued the knife. He could have traded for it, won it in a card game, found it left behind in an aircraft, many different ways of acquisition. On the other hand, mechanics would have been needed in France after the invasion, and issue would make sense as a survival, or combat knife. Lots of possibilities. SKIP

TOTALLY AGREE WITH SKIP AND YOOPER.The M3 as a utility knife was widely issued or acquired.

I recall an actual photo posted on the forum of a M3 being worn by a AAC person in the Pacific.

The way the man has ensured that his name and number are on it, could indeed be an indication that he saw it more as a personal item/possession than as government property. I have seen helmets, both US and German, with the wearers name in it - I would guess for practical reasons, to be able to find it back in a bunch of identical items - , but I do not recall ever seeing a bayonet with a name on it. I have seen lots of knives with names scratched in the, ofthen leather, scabbard, but this is the first personalized M3 that I see. Are these commonly found?

Two weeks ago I saw an M3 at an estate auction. It had the proper early M8 scabbard but the leather handle was rotted to the point of crumbling into dust. I could not bring myself to bid on it. Seems like most M3's I locate were used hard, and beyond hard.