WW1 Marine Corps Pilot's Uniform, etc.

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

For several years now, I have been trying to re-unite Lt. Brewer with his Observer/Gunner, Harry B. Wershiner. - I finally found the grand daughter who had some photographs of Harry. She believes that all other items were thrown away by here mother when Harry died. But in a small way, They are now reunited. The studio photograph of the British Observer wing is stunning. This is the only photo of an observer wing I've ever seen on a Marine Corps uniform. Makes perfect sense as they were attached tot the British 218 squadron when they both won the Navy Cross and were both wounded. This, to me, is what it's all about. I am thrilled to have pulled this off.

post-3422-1273792333.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

post_3422_1273792512.jpg

Dennis, this picture of Observer/Gunner, Harry B. Wershiner appears to be aboard a battleship, have you investigated the muster rolls to determine what his duties were before the war? s/f Darrell

Belleauwood

Darrell,

Wershiner enlisted Sept. 8 1914 and was a fleet Marine aboard the USS New Jersry, later USS Arkansas and then was stationed at Ft. Crockett, Tex. until December 1917. He was transferred to the Aeronautical Detachment on March 7, 1918 at Miami, Fla. Left for France at 7:30 PM on July 17, 1918 on the USNT DeKalb from Hoboken, NJ. I'll post some great paperwork on Wershiner as time permits..

Best, DJ

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
patrick_usmc

It's been a few years, but I am very glad I found this thread. I'm just getting started in early Marine Aviation, and this group made my heart skip a beat. One of the (if not the) best things I have ever seen posted here in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Hey Dennis,

I know you may never see this comment, but I too am absolutely amazed at this group!! It's the first time I've run across it by searching the Forum for all your group entries. What an amazing success also that you found the observer's descendants to preserve his photos also on the thread! Thanks for all the energy and enthusiasm you put into your WWI collecting!

David