Question for you USAF Vets

fstop61

My nineteen-year old son (currently a college student) has just let me know that he intends to enlist in the USAF and hopefully become an ATC. Great kid, pretty smart, and has never been in trouble. What advice do you current or retired AF vets have for him? I know this topic has been covered, but I really never scrutinized them as I thought it would never pertain to me. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks! BTW I'm extremely proud of him!

I forgot to add that my friend's brother-in-law is a retired (USAF) brigadier and we plan on getting together for some insider information as well as the info I get from you fellows.

By ATC do you mean he wants to be an Air Traffic Controller? That's a wonderful career field. I'd encourage him to get a degree and become an officer. I enlisted right out of high school but after two years I got a USAF ROTC scholarship and went to college, then back in as an officer. I became a KC-135 navigator, and was familiar with the air traffic controllers. USAF is a great service, and the ATC field seems like a good one.

Pete

He will get the best technical training anywhere, with a decent career path. Lots of travel is available to all sorts of locations worldwide. If he's not looking for a military career, his training will give him a leg up in re-entering the civilian world. The FAA is always hiring controllers, especially with Air Force tranining and experience. ATC is a tough job with a very high burn-out rate. If he thrives in that kind of environment, it's a good field. If he doesn't thrive in it, he can count on health problems resulting from it (ulcers, sleep problems, high stress, etc).

I spent 2 years as an Air Force weapons controller (non-terminal control; air defense intercept direction). The automated systems didn't suit the way my brain worked, while the manual environment did for some reason. Unfortunately, you rarely know that until you're knee-deep in it. I moved to another career field (target intelligence) and found that it suited me far better. Overall, a great life, working some of the best people in the world.

Jeff Floyd

USAF 1969-1989

And in my current job (still working for the DoD, but as a civilian), I know a lot of former military and civilian air traffic controllers. All were very satisfied with their ATC jobs. I suspect that officer ATC folks have vastly different duties than the enlisted folks; the enlisted ATC personnel are probably more hands-on controllers. But getting the degree and commission should definitely be a consideration, if he's so inclined.

Pete

Thank you so much for the replies thus far. He's pretty pumped to get the ball rolling. We met with our retired BG friend yesterday and also got some excellent advice for him.