31st Inf Reg Bataan Death March KIA Purple Heart Grouping Question

devincu

Hey guys I picked this grouping up a couple of years ago against the recommendations of some forum members who didn't like the engraving on the PH which the family had done sometime in the 50's. At the time all that was available was the PH medal, but I finally was able to get the other items from the picker and so the grouping has a bit more than just the medal. I just pulled this out of storage and was looking at the documents that show the vets death date as May 8, 1944 (presumed) but all the stuff I find on the web shows his date of death June 1, 1942. My question is the presumed date on the documents so different then the actual date found on the web? Was the government that far off when they printed the docs and then the real date was revealed after the war was over?

Thanks

Devin

post-59872-0-24471600-1418795769.jpg

Information most likely discovered after the issue of the documents that corrected date of death. I have found more than once groups containing a second set of citation/accolade with corrected date of death. I would be surprised if the engraving on this Purple Heart was not done in the last 10 years.

The death rosters from Camp Odonnell were found after the war and revealed the true date of death for many of these POWs. If the Japanese had not listed a POWs name in official documents as a POW by May 8, 1944, the US Army issued a finding of death.

I have a group like this with 2 certificates and 2 accolades with both dates listed. One issued in 1944 and the other after the war.

I agree with Robert that the Purple Heart is not the one issued to his family by the government. Someone else engraved it recently.

Kurt

carbinephalen

Could somebody please explain how his helmet survived the Bataan Death March?

A plausible scenario is needed because I just can't wrap my head around it.

Seems very unlikely to me also, but who said it was at Battaan? I am not claiming that it survived the death march, but I purchased it with the grouping so it will stay with the grouping.

Thanks

Devin

Probably left in his home before he went overseas.