A Blast From The Past: Official Army Uniform Bulletins From Days Gone By

patches

Gonna start this new topic, by adding as I find them, Uniform briefs, bulletins, and or memorandums from various old issues of Army periodicals of the 50s through the early 80s.

Trouble with the New BDUs??? Apparently so.

From the February 1982 Soldiers Magazine.

. Beware of camouflage fatique uniforms being advertised as "certified" by commercial firms, Natick Laboratories officials warn. All commercially sold uniforms must have a label certifying the item was made under a certificate issued by the U.S. Army Uniform Quality Control Office, Natick, Mass. No certificates have been issued for the Battle Dress Uniform.

( My note. So what this means, is that by early 1982, civlian makers were already making the new BDUs, interesting right? I thought that was something started by the mid-ish to late-sh 80s, you know with all those BDUs in funky non military colors, you know like Orange and Black etc. Also, this Natick certificates must of been something relativly current by 1981-82 given the huge amount of HBT, OG 107 and OD Poplin stuff seen since the 50s through the 60s, don't think I,ve seem and official labels from the Government in them )

And in the same issue.

BDUs May Shrink

. Soldiers who have have Battle Dress Uniforms that are unusable because of excessive shrinkage may have them replaced at no charge. The procedure for item exchange is outlined in interim change 101 to AR 700-84.

To minimize shrinkage, use the lowest possible washing, drying and finishing temperatures. At no time should the garment be subjected to temperatures greater then 130 degrees fahrenheit.

When buying the BDU, make sure it fits loosely, to allow for some shrinkage. Up to 2 percent shrinkage is normal, logistics offcials say.

Efforts are underway to determine the cause of shrinkage so corrective action can be taken.

( My note. Funny, they been testing and trialing these since, what, 1976, and they found they shrink after repeted washings once they start to be a standard issue item :lol: Anyone had this problem? Can't say that I had this problem with my BDUs, only wore them though to be honest in Garrison, (for at least two months after we got the BDU we could still wear the OGs, I did so many times). Or we would wear them for day training up in the low mountains behind the barracks/main post area at Wainwright. For lengthy FTXs at Greely or Eielson, to include the May 82 ARTEP down at Richardson, and the few days glacier trip in the summer, the uniform was like it always was, OD field pants and OG wool shirts.)

Those early BDUs were awful. They were cut way too short so even though the coat was supposed to be a 3/4 length (like the tropical coat) it often ended just below the belt. The pockets were pleated on the inside so if you carried anything in them they bulged out and looked very un-military. The fly away "Elvis collars" were hideous, and they faded badly, even if you only washed them in cold water.

Why they didn't just take the ERDL pattern uniform and make it out of 50/50 cloth I'll never know.

By the end of their run the BDU was a great uniform. Well fitting, good looking and very functional. My military career spanned the entire BDU era, and I'm glad I was never issued a set of ACUs or that new ASU dress uniform (don't get me started!)

ya i agree the early bdu sucked i bought a pair of early bdu jackets and they looked ugly so i sold then for $10 to a friend. -ray

Patches:

From what I remember at the time, the concern about knock-offs was that they weren't made with the right dies. Remember that the big deal with the BDU's was the low IR reflectance of the dies used in the woodland pattern. That was also the reason you weren't supposed to starch them. The starch would glow under IR. Of course, the Army being the Army, they got starched anyway.

BDUs May Shrink

"Soldiers who have have Battle Dress Uniforms that are unusable because of excessive shrinkage may have them replaced at no charge. The procedure for item exchange is outlined in interim change 101 to AR 700-84.

To minimize shrinkage, use the lowest possible washing, drying and finishing temperatures. At no time should the garment be subjected to temperatures greater then 130 degrees fahrenheit.

When buying the BDU, make sure it fits loosely, to allow for some shrinkage. Up to 2 percent shrinkage is normal, logistics officials say.

Efforts are underway to determine the cause of shrinkage so corrective action can be taken.

( My note. Funny, they been testing and trialing these since, what, 1976, and they found they shrink after repeted washings once they start to be a standard issue item" :lol:

Maybe this explains why I can no longer fit into the BDUs I was issued in the early 80s! They've just been slowly shrinking over the years. :)

The thing I remember the most about those 1982 BDU's was that the black part of the camo turned purple after washing them a few times and wearing them in the hot Texas sun at Ft Hood. I did like all the pockets to carry junk in when out in the field - a big improvement over the limited carrying space of the old OD fatigues.

Patches:

From what I remember at the time, the concern about knock-offs was that they weren't made with the right dies. Remember that the big deal with the BDU's was the low IR reflectance of the dies used in the woodland pattern. That was also the reason you weren't supposed to starch them. The starch would glow under IR. Of course, the Army being the Army, they got starched anyway.

Oh yeah, I remember that now about the IR issue, also the starch, I think I did it once or twice only, myself with spray rather then the PX tailor.

They would fade so badly that the slang term for a badly faded set of BDU's was "cook whites."

Because the different issues of uniforms faded differently it was important to keep your tops and bottoms numbered so you would know which tops went with which bottoms.

I remember mine were numbered T-1 through T-4 or so (for my temperate uniforms) and H-1 through H-4 (for the hot weather ones.)

The HWBDUs were 100% cotton, much softer and more comfortable but they also only lasted about half as long and when they started to get old, they fell apart fast. The temperate uniforms were not as comfy, they were a little stiffer but they also lasted longer.

BDUs May Shrink

"Soldiers who have have Battle Dress Uniforms that are unusable because of excessive shrinkage may have them replaced at no charge. The procedure for item exchange is outlined in interim change 101 to AR 700-84.

When buying the BDU, make sure it fits loosely, to allow for some shrinkage. Up to 2 percent shrinkage is normal, logistics officials say.

( My note. Funny, they been testing and trialing these since, what, 1976, and they found they shrink after repeted washings once they start to be a standard issue item" :lol:

Maybe this explains why I can no longer fit into the BDUs I was issued in the early 80s! They've just been slowly shrinking over the years. :)

I still kick myself now for giving away my two sets back there in the late 80s, these would of course be 82 dated with the so called Elvis collar ( didn't as of yet hear that term by the time I got out on that Christmas 82 drop). Still got my two BDU caps though,I can see them from where I,m sitting.

post-34986-0-27260700-1418781449.jpg

This color pattern I heard was going to be trialed by elements of the 4th Div out of Fort Carson in special Fall maneuvers at Fort Snelling Minnesota in around October 1982.

Nah only joking of course :D . Just wanted to show the type, and that these were made by a company called Rothco, not sure if Rothco was one of the companies that started to make knock offs of the official issue BDUs in late 81 early 82.

Just wanted to show the type, and that these were made by a company called Rothco, not sure if Rothco was one of the companies that started to make knock offs of the official issue BDUs in late 81 early 82.

Morris Rothenberg & Sons (Rothco) has been in the surplus business since 1953, so yeah they were around and making commercial copies in the early 80's.

BDUs always cracked me up, as I was expected to have a 'combat' uniform pressed and most of my NCOs starched them so bad they looked like they were made out of plywood. I always assume that came from when the office REMFs and staff weinee coffee-makers started wearing them instead of class Bs...

All for a uniform that was never supposed to be pressed or starched. And when the ACUs came out, they said the exact same thing, and I laughed at the idea that some CSM wouldn't one day demand everyone presses/starch the things. I never wore ACUs but a few times with the reserves, almost all my active time was in woodland BDUs (usually the summer weight, with black jungle boots, regardless of the temps outside). I remember a few older soldiers still wearing the 'Elvis collar' BDU tops from time to time and much much ribbing they'd get for wearing them.

Sure enough, I recently saw someone wearing a set of ACUs out walking his dog, and they were clearly pressed and starched!

Here's one to wrap yourselves around :lol: the new (then) black sweater.

Also from the Feb 82 issue of SOLDIERS.

Pullover Sweater Wear Rules

. The black pullover sweater may be worn as a outer garment with the Army green trousers, skirts or slacks and green shirts.

Sweaters may be worn with short or long sleeve shirts. If a tie is worn, the shirt collar will be worn inside the sweater. Otherwise, the collar should be worn outside.

Soldiers with rank of corporal or higher will wear rank insignia shoulder marks. All others will wear rank insignia on their collars.

A nameplate will be centered on the right breast patch. A unit crest may be worn above the nameplate,unless commanders specify otherwise. If the crest is worn, the nameplate will be centered one-fouth inch above the bottom of the patch and the crest will be centered one-fourth inch above the nameplate.

The sweater may be worn under the green raincoat, black all weather coat and black windbreaker. The windbreaker need not be zipped all the way to the top as the new AR 670-1 implies, according to the U.S. Army Uniform Board.

Without the nameplate and rank, the sweater may be worn with civilian clothing.

Seems there was an ERRATA in this memo, a correction, or a clarification more like it was printed in the April issue.

Wooly-Pulley-Oops

.Sorry. We have mislead you with the item on rules for the pullover sweater wear in the February What's New. Some readers apparently believe the artical meant that the long-sleeve shirt and sweater combination could be worn without a tie. That is wrong. A tie must always be worn with the long-sleeve shirt. The tie is optional with the short-sleeve shirt only.

(My note, if you got the sweater on how they gonna tell if the shirt your wearing is long or short sleeved? :lol: .

Only your Top knows for sure, he could tell just by looking at you and see your your wear a long sleeved shirt and are not within the Regs :lol: )

Those early BDUs were awful. They were cut way too short so even though the coat was supposed to be a 3/4 length (like the tropical coat) it often ended just below the belt. The pockets were pleated on the inside so if you carried anything in them they bulged out and looked very un-military. The fly away "Elvis collars" were hideous, and they faded badly, even if you only washed them in cold water.

Why they didn't just take the ERDL pattern uniform and make it out of 50/50 cloth I'll never know.

By the end of their run the BDU was a great uniform. Well fitting, good looking and very functional. My military career spanned the entire BDU era, and I'm glad I was never issued a set of ACUs or that new ASU dress uniform (don't get me started!)

Couldn't agree more, I was one of the last holdout's in my company to get BDU's, was even the only guy in 107's for an IG inspection since my ERDL's weren't "official", whatever that was supposed to mean. We could still wear ERDL and I was one of the few to wear them to Grenada, which is what they were made for.

I still have 4 sets of my favorite 'cammies', though most show some wear.

Alan

:love:

post-2741-0-58236600-1419287511.jpg

Here's one to wrap yourselves around :lol: the new (then) black sweater.

That darned sweater. I was a ROTC cadet from 96 to 98, and pinned on in April of 1998. All of us bought those sweaters because we all figured we'd need them on active duty eventually. I have no idea when they got phased out, but I never saw one being worn anywhere. I have no idea where mine is today, I don't recall ever getting rid of it though.

But nope, I never wore the thing once. Not even the pogue HQ guys ever wore them. When we were all cadets, none of us realized that it was pretty much either BDUs or blues, and usually nothing else got worn. I spend a small fortune on my Class As which I could count each time I ever wore them, but scrimped on the blues, bought mine second hand. Little did I know that we'd be wearing the blues to social functions quite often...

• 1 month later...

Here's one on the old Perma Press Fatiques, maybe Khakis too.

From the October 1977 issue of SOLDIERS

Wash-and-Wear uniforms are exactly that....wash-and-wear......

Don't send those items to commercial laundries (PX included) to be starched and pressed......

Material doesn't take starch well....and excessive heat from commercial steam pressers breaks down resin

in the fabric......Wash-and-Wear uniforms should be laundered at home using the permanent press

cycle for both washing and drying.....They should be removed from the dryer immediately after

the cycle and placed on clothes hangers.....If any touch-up is needed, use a cool iron.

(My Note: I take it the statement "Wash-and-Wear uniforms should be laundered at home" to mean Soldiers who lived in on post quarters, off post, or by soldiers in their barracks laundry room. Anyways, those who where in at that time when the type was worn like myself, did indeed have them starched, at the PX or at "Home" by using spray starch)

• 6 years later...

And this gem on the issuance of the new Woodland Field Jacket, The BDU Field Jacket they call it, this is from a 1982 issue, but forgot the month.

k8mu0011.jpg

My BDU era started in 1985 when I was issued four sets while attending OSUT at Ft. Benning.  All four sets were the heavyweight version.  Some of the guys got the newer pattern with the small collar and the side tabs but all of mine were the original Elvis collar version.  For me, wearing BDUs ended when the ACU UCP uniform became widely available in 2006.  The hot weather BDUs did shrink somewhat but not too badly.  The only uniforms I was ever issued that had a bad shrinking problem was the desert DCUs issued at Fort Bragg in January 2004.  I always wore medium regular so that's what I was issued.  The first time I washed them they shrunk so bad I couldn't even wear them, which I've never understood because the fabric was standard BDU 50/50 nyco/cotton.  So they gave me Large regulars instead and they didn't shrink at all, not even a little bit.  I spent a lot of time in Iraq pulling up my trousers because they were so big.  

I also wore the Multicam and newer OCP uniforms before retiring in 2016.  The BDUs were a great uniform but I found the ACU style was a far superior uniform for field training/combat situations, particularly when wearing body armor.  Obviously the UCP pattern cammo was a total bust but the Multi cam and OCP patterns were excellent.

And this one, again November 81,interesting, it says the PX will be taking over the running of Clothing Sales Stores Army Wide, and as we see the non governmental uniforms etc will now be sold there as well. must of took awhile to implement, as in the winter 81-82, till early winter 82 (IE December 82) at Ft Wainwright when I was there, still sold the PX stuff at the PX, while the Clothing Sales Store still sold GI.

PX.jpg