WWII USMC BOYT 42 T-handle shovel cover and shovel

WWII_GI

I picked this one up recently and I am unsure about the cover, I have never seen a BOYT marked cover and I just wanted a few other opinions on it. Also is this one of the alleged USMC reinforced T-handle shovel?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

-Steven

post-104606-0-86515000-1418687388.jpeg

Not sure Boyt like that marked them like that on the inside..Typically covers were back stamped.THERE ARE A LOT OF FAKE STAMPS OUT THERE.

Yeah I was unsure about that, it looks like an original stamp but it's just a weird spot.

Looks odd to me like there is ink residue off to the left of the USMC like it was stamped with a hand stamp made out of a rubber block like address stamps

The shovel looks like a nice 1943 dated Ames, which are not common by any means.

As for the cover? I have to concur with the comments above. I'm not particularly comfortable with certain things. It seems that the rust did not affect the thread, for what it is worth.

The shovel looks like a nice 1943 dated Ames, which are not common by any means.

As for the cover? I have to concur with the comments above. I'm not particularly comfortable with certain things. It seems that the rust did not affect the thread, for what it is worth.

Plus the thread looks white.not the typical green/khaki seen by Boyt

Plus the thread looks white.not the typical green/khaki seen by Boyt

Exactly. I would black-light it just to see what happens.

The USMC stamp looks real but I think it started life on a real piece of equipment. Like a message case that was all fouled up so it ended up here as a t cover......a fake t cover.

Ronnie

Oh darn, I kinda thought it just looked off. Oh well, I didnt lose too much money, the shovel is still nice and I'll probably just keep this cover as a filler till I get a real one. Wasn't a total loss.

Thanks all for the help

-steven

As far as I know, the Corps-specific Covers of various types were made at the Quartermaster Depot and stamped on the undersides, if they were stamped at all.

Here are some pre-War Canteen Covers shown along with a Shovel Cover...

post-3226-0-93036800-1418711075.jpg

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if BOYT made shovel covers for the Marines? I think I have a cover just like this at home.

Hi,

I am yet to see an original BOYT 'USMC' marked shovel cover.

If you need one for a display I would suggest you use a standard US marked example or if you're willing to spend more money and time searching a USMC Philadelphia Depot made example would be best for early war impressions. There's a lot of fakes out there now so you will need to do your research.

Regards,

-Steve

Pretty sure it is a fake robber stamp. Besides, I am also fairly certain that a 1942 made shovel cover would likely have square metal end caps on the strap. Anyone know if Boyt used the rounded tips on early Army contracts, if they even made shovel covers in 1942. I have seen Boyt shovel covers but dont know about 1942 dates.

After looking at some other Boyt equipment dated 1942, it appears they used the rounded metal tips on the straps of their other web gear, so I guess the rounded metal tips could be okay for a 1942 dated item. I still don't like the stamp, though. Never saw a Boyt stamp on a shovel cover that looks like that. Maybe it was just the Depot made items that utilized the square metal strap tips.

• 1 year later...

Oh darn, I kinda thought it just looked off. Oh well, I didnt lose too much money, the shovel is still nice and I'll probably just keep this cover as a filler till I get a real one. Wasn't a total loss.

Thanks all for the help

-steven

Steven,

Did you sell this cover to someone? Because I purchased from a dealer last year... and it's the same exact one...

Steven,

Did you sell this cover to someone? Because I purchased from a dealer last year... and it's the same exact one...

I had originally bought it off of eBay and after I got the no go from the forum I returned it. He mustve sold it again.

-Steven

I had originally bought it off of eBay and after I got the no go from the forum I returned it. He mustve sold it again.

-Steven

Do you remember who it was?