Key to Bastille

wek

Hi forum.

You have all been a great help since I have have joined the forum. Through my search of my Uncles collections I found this key. The attached note unfortunately is falling apart due to age. It is hard to read however, it is a facsimile of the key to Bastille. Presented to ? In 188? By ? " facimile of the original key of the Bastille now hanging in the hall, Mt. Vernon ...which was presented by La Fayette. ?....

This was presented to me by ?.......when on my visit to Mt. Vernon. In the summer of 18.

Though I would share this with the forum.

I dont know who received this copy of the key but it was amoung his collection. I wanted to share this with the forum. I would also like to find out more about who received this key? Thanks for any input.

post-155147-14185086910344.jpg

post-155147-14185087925194.jpg

post-155147-14185088060783.jpg

Hello

The Bastille was a famous Paris jail taken in 1789 and destroyed during the French revolution.

Sorry I don t know anything about your key but I am pretty sure there were more than one key for this jail !

screen10.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi forum.

You have all been a great help since I have have joined the forum. Through my search of my Uncles collections I found this key. The attached note unfortunately is falling apart due to age. It is hard to read however, it is a facsimile of the key to Bastille. Presented to ? In 188? By ? " facimile of the original key of the Bastille now hanging in the hall, Mt. Vernon ...which was presented by La Fayette. ?....

This was presented to me by ?.......when on my visit to Mt. Vernon. In the summer of 18.

I dont know who received this copy of the key but it was amoung his collection. I wanted to share this with the forum. I would also like to find out more about who received this key? Thanks for any input.

"...which was presented by LaFayette to Washington." Interesting that they were apparently making replicas back in the 1800's.

4WIW, I am trying to do some research about the Bastille Key(s) and will be posting results at www.bahrnoproducts.com/Bastille%20Key.htm

Hi forum.

Hi forum.

Given that Washington received the original key as a gift from Lafayette, do you mean you're looking for who received the facsimile (replica) key back in 188x? If so, likely very hard to tell. I've tried to do an on-line search of replicas and found little beyond what is being sold today. The key is obviously a very crude replica, so likely not many of them were made back then, possibly given out only to VIPs. I also tried various versions of spelling for Mr. Branokan (sp?) and Mount Vernon and found nothing. Will keep in mind, though, as I do more research. Good luck!

Is the name Bradshaw?

Henry Bradshaw was an architect/builder/restorer at Mt Vernon in the mid to late 1800's.

In this text there is a report of a Mr. Henry Knickerbocker Bradshaw presenting a facsimile of a staff owned by George Washington to a member of the Mount Vernon Association.

https://books.google.com/books?id=llwSAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA2-PA15&lpg=RA2-PA15&dq=henry+knickerbocker+bradshaw+mt+vernon&source=bl&ots=X27vurWKEm&sig=1N1HaQ4oTtpXriJfBpXQBpTD52s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=x1O-VK22LcS8ggSr4oKICA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%20bradshaw&f=false

Is the name Bradshaw?

Henry Bradshaw was an architect/builder/restorer at Mt Vernon in the mid to late 1800's.

In this text there is a report of a Mr. Henry Knickerbocker Bradshaw presenting a facsimile of a staff owned by George Washington to a member of the Mount Vernon Association.

https://books.google.com/books?id=llwSAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA2-PA15&lpg=RA2-PA15&dq=henry+knickerbocker+bradshaw+mt+vernon&source=bl&ots=X27vurWKEm&sig=1N1HaQ4oTtpXriJfBpXQBpTD52s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=x1O-VK22LcS8ggSr4oKICA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%20bradshaw&f=false

I have a contact at the new Fred Smith library at Mount Vernon. Will relay your question to her. Maybe she can help or at least send you/us in the right direction. If not, I'll try to do some checking next time I'm there. Be back to you if/when I have something. http://www.mountvernon.org/library/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how interesting. Yes, that is the name on the tag!

Thank you for sharing your research.

Haven't heard anything back yet from my contacts at Mount Vernon. Will give them until right after 22 February, George Washington's birthday, B4 I bug them again. Please note my new user name. Please let me/us know if you hear something from them B4 I do. Good luck!

I received a response from the Mount Vernon Curator's office which has come up "dry." They've referred me back to the Library. I've asked them to also look into the name Bradshaw, although I find it hard to pick out the "d" from the on-line photograph. Let's hope we hear some good news. Will be in touch when I hear more.

• 1 year later...

Dear Lisa:

Am almost ready to publish my book but discovered I don't have your contact info to give you credit. Please go to www.bahrnoproducts.com/Bastille_Key.htm for email. Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Dear Lisa:

Would your uncle be related in any way to Justin V. R. Townsend, Vice-Regent of New York (37 W 37th Street, NYC). Listing of other Mount Vernon Ladies on page 32 of https://books.google.com/books?id=llwSAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA2-PA15&lpg=RA2-PA15&dq=henry+knickerbocker+bradshaw+mt+vernon&source=bl&ots=X27vurWKEm&sig=1N1HaQ4oTtpXriJfBpXQBpTD52s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=x1O-VK22LcS8ggSr4oKICA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%20bradshaw&f=false and page 2 of the 1890 report.

Please let me know that you've seen this by emailing wbahr at mail dot com . Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

• 5 months later...

Dear Lisa:

Well, a correction first. Should be Justine V. R. Townsend. Also on page 26 of 1890 report. BTW, I gave you "first name" credit about your story in my new book:

https://www.createspace.com/6529763 with website: www.LibertyKey.US If you'd like me to include your last name, please let me know. Also, if you'd like a complimentary copy of the book, please contact me at the address on my website and send me your mailing address. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Bill