Proof the blue wing backing was worn by the 15th Air Force.

AAF_Collection

doinworkinvans

Great shot Daniel, interesting trimmed down backing to follow the wing, do you have any info on thw who, when and where?

Matt.

I dont have the info on that one - if you had have asked me earlier I could have found it. Fold3 is full of wing examples!!!

• 1 year later...

Pretty sure Keller is in this video:

I sure am going to miss this generation, as I know many in the video are deceased. Feel like a light is going to go out when the last one goes.

Thank you for posting that. It was great to see Jack and hear his voice again. Since we just passed the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack I was just thinking about Jack. There were two days I could always count on getting an email from Jack, December 7th and June 6th. On December 7th he would always share stories of his brother who was at Pearl Harbor during the attack and on June 6th he would tell me stories of flying over the invasion beaches from the tail gunner position of his B-17. The stories were pretty much the same every year but I didn't care one bit because every time I read them he transported me back to those fateful days in a way that only someone that lived it can. He was a wonderful gentleman and shared a lot with me over the years. It's nice to remember him at this holiday time of the year and keep a good thought for him and all he did not only in the war but after as well. I miss the man.

Perhaps we see more blue-backed combat wings on 8th & 9th AF uniforms because of the theater itself. These guys had a greater opportunity to wear their Class A uniforms on pass to town or London than most other places where combat was being flown. Just my 2-cents on the subject. Publication of the regs is great info! Thanks.......Bobgee

That's a good point. I think my 12th af fighter pilot and his buddies didn't often wear more than shorts, and from the pictures of the surrounding area, that might have been a touch overdressed.

• 1 month later...
doinworkinvans

Just to add to the discussion here - here is one for sale now on the bay that is 15th AF and has a picture of the guy and you can clearly tell he has the blue backing. Its unfortunate that the patch isn't showing but with the jacket for sale as well we can assume that's a 15th patch.

Disclaimer: I believe this seller is a member here and I am showing this only for discussion and they are his pictures, not mine. They are taken from the listing. For education only.

s-l1600.jpg

2.jpg