REBUILT M4 bayonets

camillus

Hi, what are some of the signs of rebuilt M4 bayonets, In the M4 listings I see knives with what looks like painte metal or reparkerized blades or pommels but I am not sure I don't know what to look for Thanks Mike

The first thing I look for is the pommel staking, or peen. Most WWII M4s had a starburst peen, so if you see where the end of the tang is flush with the pommel and hammered, or rough looking, then I get suspicious of its originality. Paint on the pommel starburst itself is not necessarily a sign of rebuilding. I think the final act of assembly was the staking of the unit. When the starburst was created, the existing parkerizing would be "damaged" hence the paint for quick rust proofing. I'm going out on a limb with that explanation. More knowledgeable people might wish to chime in.

Marv

thanks I think I have read that about the peen else where but iit is a good reminder. I am have a hard time even finding what I want. I don't want a newly issued knife but I don't want one used to distortion either. I got Garys book American Bayonets it is a help Thanks Mike