37mm Shells - Information requested

gitana

These have been in my family forever, the story being that my grandfather (navy) picked them up during or after WWI.

From what I can gather they were used in 37mm (1 lb) infantry gun and are both made by Poole Engineering and Machine Company. One appears to have been loaded by Winchester (the circled W).

Is there anything else of interest you could tell me about them? I see one is inert with a hole in the bottom - what about the other one? Is there still powder in it?

Thanks!

post-14792-0-98311900-1418318882.jpg

It looks like the primer on the smaller round has been indented, meaning the case has been fired in the past. Then an unfired projectile was mated with it later. There does not seem to be any grooves on the copper driving bands on either projectile meaning both appear to be unfired.

Bob

Can you pull the projectiles out of the casings? Sometimes if they have been dewatted they are just stuck and a little twisting will get them out.

No powder in the casings, but pull the rounds and check if they still have a fuze. These are base-fuzed HE projectiles which will have a primer similar to the below.

If they don't have a primer, you are definitely safe!

If you have a projectiles with primers and you are still scared, let me know and I can weigh some of mine.

post-97349-0-31570000-1418344378.jpg

Thanks guys, that's all a big help. I will try to pry them apart next time I'm at my parents'.

Was I correct that these are both for the same gun? If so, why the different heights?

Early 37mm stuff isn't my specialty, but they aren't for the same gun...I believe the shorter one is for the standard Hotchkiss 37mm gun, the longer is actually a US Navy 1 Pounder...I think...