B-E-A-UTIFUL China Marine Cigarette Case

This is by far the nicest one I've ever seen, and other people, too, apparently as it brought $1325 on eBay...not to me! Someone here, perhaps?

$_57.JPG

$_57 (5).jpg

$_57 (1).jpg

$_57 (6).jpg

$_57 (7).jpg

I was watching that too and I agree, has to be the nicest one out there. I was seriously talking myself out of it when it was stuck at $850, and was surprised to see final price, although like I say, where will you ever see one as nice again?

I have a hunch that this is going back to China. A lot of great pieces of Pre-WW2 souvenir Chinese silver has been bought up by Chinese buyers in last few years, military related included.

Wonderful piece indeed.

teufelhunde.ret

I have a hunch that this is going back to China. A lot of great pieces of Pre-WW2 souvenir Chinese silver has been bought up by Chinese buyers in last few years, military related included.

Wonderful piece indeed.

Agree, and they are also after photo albums and tapestries as well.

Now that is a beauty! Interesting that it shows the dates "1938 - 1942" as the Marines left China in November 1941. The Marine probably ordered it in advance. Wonder if he was later in the Phillipines and a P.O.W. ? Semper Fi.......Bobgee

We have a couple of heavy China hitters on the forum, too, but I am aware there are a couple of big time China silver collectors prowling eBay

very nice but way out of most people's price range for a cig. case.

To someone who collects China Marine items, I imagine this might be much more than just a cigarette case. It is beautiful....

This is art

What a beautiful and unique example, and, if I may add, it is certainly FINE art.

Thank you for showing this feast for the eyes!

My best always,

Joe

Silversmithing seems to be a lost art. I checked some smiths online thinking I'd get some quality work on a dip can lid or flask, and it seems all the 'masters' out there have profiles that fall far short of the old 30's China silver

normaninvasion

Silversmithing seems to be a lost art. I checked some smiths online thinking I'd get some quality work on a dip can lid or flask, and it seems all the 'masters' out there have profiles that fall far short of the old 30's China silver

My gr granddad was a silverchaser. I have his tools. Maybe I should take up a new hobby.

• 1 month later...

That is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. The scene of the Bund is nothing short of amazing. I don't really buy much anymore, but would have gladly paid that amount for that piece.

I imagine the dates 1938-1942 covered the period that the Marine re-enlisted for in ordered to be guaranteed Shanghai. It was very common in my day for guys to re-up for three years guaranteed at Marine Barracks, Subic Bay, PI. The Shanghai of the second half of the 20th Century.