USCG Sword WWII era?

mslurvey

I picked up this sword at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show this past Friday. I know nothing about swords but I kept coming back to this sword and finally bit the bullet on it. The tag says "Scarce! WWII Era Coast Guard Dress Sword" The sword measures 29.5 inches from hilt to tip and 35.5 inches from end of handle to tip. The scabbard measures 31 inches. The sword is not named and I can not find a makers mark. The three screws on the scabbard have a number 4 stamped right above them. I am going to mount it on the wall next to my grandfather's sword.

Questions

1. Is this from WWII and how do you tell.

2. Who was the manufacturer and how do you tell.

3. I do not know what other questions to ask as I do not know anything about swords to ask them.

4. Price range on this type of sword.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me on this sword.

Mason

14 photos attached

post-144745-0-06797300-1418006755.jpg

It's a pre-WW2 vintage sword for a couple reasons: first, I don't know for sure about the USCG, but in the Navy, swords were abolished during the war, so there's technically no such thing as a WW2 Navy sword. :) Second, and more importantly on this one, is that the eagle faces toward the viewer's right, which was changed in 1941. Plus, the construction of the sword appears to be pre-WW2 as well, just from what I can see. So you've got a pre-WW2, unnamed, USCG officer's sword in good to very good condition (the blade is really nice, the scabbard has seen better days). They're far more rare than Navy ones, but not as desirable (IMHO) and thus I'd put a value of around $200-$250 on it based on it's rarity, condition, and desirability.

Hope that helps!

Dave

I agree with Dave's estimate although on a good day at an auction a pre-WWII CG sword could top $350, according to completed sales I found on worthpoint.com, but that would be rare.

The maker's marks should at the base of the blade on what's called the ricasso. The "right" maker's could make a big difference in value.

sword.jpg

The only caution I would give concerning placing this sword as being made prior to WWII are the phillips head screws that secure the scabbard fittings. I would expect to see slot head screws on a pre-war sword. I would also check the grips to see if they are sharkskin or plastic. Sharkskin should have a slight seam on the side near the knuckle guard.

A nice complete USCG sword though.

The only caution I would give concerning placing this sword as being made prior to WWII are the phillips head screws that secure the scabbard fittings. I would expect to see slot head screws on a pre-war sword. I would also check the grips to see if they are sharkskin or plastic. Sharkskin should have a slight seam on the side near the knuckle guard.

A nice complete USCG sword though.

With it the eagle facing its left, we know for sure it is a pre-WWII sword, but the scabbard could have been replaced, or just the screws replaced, or perhaps the scabbard was sold with Phillips screws: they came into use after 1936 and by 1940, 85% of U.S. screw manufacturers had a license for use of them.

This is the top of line type 1FS M1852/72 made by the Lilley-Ames (L-A) Co. Columbus Oh just before WWII. This sword is as good as they get without going 'custom'. The Phillips head screws are absolutely correct. From about 1938 to 1951, most of L-A's production had Phillips head screws.

The fishskin grip is very uncommon; most of the type 1's had a plastic grip.

I(f you are wondering what I mean by Type 1; I would direct you to this link http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?111916-US-Naval-Officers-Swords-1872-to-1942. This thread covers the later USN sword which are essentially the same as the USCGs.

A sword designated M1852/72 will have the thinner lighter blade; accepted after 1872.