My "secret project" uniform recreation

WW2JAKE

as many of you know my grandfather passed away last month, and also that ive been asking ALOT of questions regarding his history and units and so on, have had alot of help from various members, and this is what it was all for the recreation of my grandfathers post korea ike jacket which there are no pictures of, so alot of research was necessary... but the result is this 8th army corporal Ike jacket with 4 overseas bars (should be 1 service stripe but havent been able to find a correct one yet) all patches are hand stitched going off of a picture of his pre-korea jacket and a patch i found sewn on a jacket at his house in the same style (may redo smaller stitching as it has already been addressed) had issues with missing buttons and some falling off... but have been repaired and one is on its way, please leave opinions about it as i knew NOTHING of Korean war uniforms before all this, yes those 8th infantry regiment DUI's shouldnt be there but they are because they are my grandfathers from when he was stationed at Fort Ord in California. hope you all like it! and most of all hope its correct!

post-125364-0-72137700-1418003386.jpgpost-125364-0-52933900-1418003347.jpgpost-125364-0-89668900-1418003328.jpg

Thank you to:
36-tex
hirsca
Rakkasan187
17thairborne

I like the stitching

-Dave

thanks, i had to redo it a few times from sewing it to the opposite side of the inner sleeve and a few times the thread broke before i got the hang of it lol

He went through Basic with the 8th Inf, 4th Inf Div at Fort Ord, the 4th Div was a cadre training division, it would be in November 1950 upgraded back to full combat status,remanned, and trained, and sent off to Germany.

Not sure if this will help or not, but this is the Ike of a relative of mine from roughly the same time frame. The stitching on the patch and stripes is original. It might be the look you are trying to get.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are close ups in case they might help.

post-68384-0-45261300-1418016379.jpg

post-68384-0-11519100-1418016397.jpg

OK, 1953 is it?, then the lower discs would not of been worn, this REG went out in late 1951, after which discs were worn in the old familar way, one on each collar. Other than that, and the placement of the out of place 8th Inf DIs, Good job, especially the X stiching, not that bad.

The Khaki shirt, lets see that, is it the Khaki Cotton Twill Type, the type with shoulder straps, or the Tan Poplin type? Just a heads up though. If worn under the IKE, no collar discs would be worn, if a Khaki Cotton Khaki Twill Shirt and worn by itself as a summer uniform set, then discs were worn.

OK, 1953 is it?, then the lower discs would not of been worn, this REG went out in late 1951, after which discs were worn in the old familar way, one on each collar. Other than that, and the placement of the out of place 8th Inf DIs, Good job, especially the X stiching, not that bad.

The Khaki shirt, lets see that, is it the Khaki Cotton Twill Type, the type with shoulder straps, or the Tan Poplin type? Just a heads up though. If worn under the IKE, no collar discs would be worn, if a Khaki Cotton Khaki Twill Shirt and worn by itself as a summer uniform set, then discs were worn.

shirt and tie are both on hand items not original, the disks on the shirt are there just so they stay with the rest of his stuff (all pins, ribbons, and badges are his original) and as for the 4 dollar disks you are probably right but i was going off one picture so since there were the right amount they went on and again for the 8th inf dui it was just to keep them with the rest of his stuff, i mentioned they dont belong

He went through Basic with the 8th Inf, 4th Inf Div at Fort Ord, the 4th Div was a cadre training division, it would be in November 1950 upgraded back to full combat status,remanned, and trained, and sent off to Germany.

i believe it may have been 1950 looking at some pictures i have one says "company party company C 1950", and yes 4th inf was worn on some of the uniforms but never showed up on his at least not in pictures he did wear a army service forces patch or at that time i guess it was Technical and Administrative Services? and he was shipped to Japan, where he remained until he went to korea...

Not sure if this will help or not, but this is the Ike of a relative of mine from roughly the same time frame. The stitching on the patch and stripes is original. It might be the look you are trying to get.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are close ups in case they might help.

thank you! i didnt have a clear picture of his so i went off how it looked in the picture and how the patch on the jacket i found looked, yeah i may redo them but maybe not since im almost out of thread lol is the 8th army ssi double stitched? once by machine halving the border then again by hand to the center of the border?

You have done a wonderful job remembering your grandfather.. He is looking down on you and smiling..

Well done..

Leigh

Ditto, and your button is on the way. Thanks, Al.

I may have missed this in the thread, so if I did, my compliments. Checking out the ribbon bars, I think thee is one missing. If he was authorized the Korean and an UN Service Medals, he would have to have the National Defense Ribbon. One other comment, shouldn't the over seas and hash marks go on the left sleeve?

I may have missed this in the thread, so if I did, my compliments. Checking out the ribbon bars, I think thee is one missing. If he was authorized the Korean and an UN Service Medals, he would have to have the National Defense Ribbon. One other comment, shouldn't the over seas and hash marks go on the left sleeve?

It's very possible he left the army before the NDSM came out, ( April 1953 is when it was first established, we will let Jake tell us when he was discharged) Also some time in 1951 the OS Bars were official REGed to now be worn on the right, this was done to help get rid of all the insignia trailing up the left arm from the cuff to the shoulder on your long serving EMs.

you may be right though i dont have his dd214 to look, thats just what i found... and its my understanding that the regulations were changing so i could have done either and it would have been proper that is one thing i was confused on cause everything you read says right sleeve now but 9/10 times its on the left when you see an ike jacket with them... ill post a real korean war era example...

post-125364-0-88445200-1418067459.jpg

It's very possible he left the army before the NDSM came out, ( April 1953 is when it was first established, we will let Jake tell us when he was discharged) Also some time in 1951 the OS Bars were official REGed to now be worn on the right, this was done to help get rid of all the insignia trailing up the left arm from the cuff to the shoulder on your long serving EMs.

im going off memory here but i believe in may of 53 he was sent to Japan and discharged that same month which is when he married his first wife so he may be missing a bar but seeing as the 4 is all i found and they werent moved around http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/224152-finds-from-my-grandfathers-house/ this is the day i found them post #3... so it almost seems like it was never part of these ribbons unless it would come before the bottom 3 ribbons in which case it would seem he had 2 single ribbons on top and one row of 3 on bottom?

yeah it would go between the army of occupation medal and korean service medal so it really doesnt make sense?

American Heritage

nice! I'm working on one for my wife's grandfather. I was wondering about the collar discs. They look rounded and if so, then I heard these are correct for Korea? and he flat ones were for WW2?

nice! I'm working on one for my wife's grandfather. I was wondering about the collar discs. They look rounded and if so, then I heard these are correct for Korea? and he flat ones were for WW2?

Domed collar brass would be appropriate for the Korean era.. Flat disks would be alright too but domed were more common..

Leigh

Domed collar brass would be appropriate for the Korean era.. Flat disks would be alright too but domed were more common..

Leigh

ive heard many were also private purchase? i know my grandfathers ordnance disks were flat but his engineer disks were domed and thats just from around 50-51

yes they are rounded

post-125364-0-72815100-1418078529.jpg

Wow Jake that's a great tribute to your grandfather's service, I'm sure he is proud. Thanks for sharing it with us! I LOVE the stitching style too, it really makes the jacket pop!